Front Row TV Shows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macrlz9, Sep 1, 2006.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Hi all. I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to my specific problem. I have TV Shows that i've ripped and what not in iTunes. I have set the video kind to TV Show in the options for each video file, but they will not show up in Front Row still? Does anyone know how to fix this. I read about using Lostify, but that won't work anything other than .mp4 files it says. Any ideas?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What format are the videos if not .mp4??

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Just drop them in ~/movies/

they'll show up in front row under /videos/movies/

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Probably M4V, since they were created by iTunes, which Lostify will work with just fine (since it's just another name for MP4).

B

5. jive macrumors 6502a

6. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

ok so if i'm understanding correctly the must be converted to .m4v to work? they are mostly .mpg's why would iTunes let me tag them as tv shows but not show up in front row? that doesn't make sense to me.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ah. iTunes will let you "tag" a file like an AIFF or WAV or MPEG file that doesn't support the tags by adding the info only to the iTunes database. For M4V files when you use Lostify, the info is actually saved to the file, but even in that case when you use iTunes to do the tagging it doesn't make it to the file, only the DB.

Unfortunately Front Row doesn't really read the iTunes DB, but looks at the files to determine if somthing is a "TV Show", so it really needs to be in M4V format.

It's similar to the way that you can't have iTunes treat an MP3 as an "Audiobook"...

B

8. brandon6684 Guest

I seem to remember reading somewhere that even if a file is tagged as a TV show, FrontRow will still stick it in the Movies category. As far as I know, a work around hadn't found at the time, but it may have changed.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Far as I know the only "TV Shows" that can/are labeled and show up in Front Row as a "TV Show" is a TV Show purchased from iTunes.

I've tried and tried and have yet to be able to do this and my video library is 40gigs.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

TV is a wasteland. TV shows off of iTunes will vacuum out your brain as surely as if you had watched them on the tube. Let it go. Read a book. Go to the park. Dance with a beautiful girl, (or an ugly one, depending on personal circumstances). Your life will be much richer.:D

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:confused: Lostify/Atomic Parseley has worked great for me. I have a number of DVD rips that show up in TV Shows in FR.

B

12. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

My experience with Lostify has been less than successful on my MacBook Pro.

I've run a few shows through it and I've changed them to TV Show and it's stuck in the file, but they don't show up under the TV Shows on my iPod nor under Front Row.

For now, on the iPod, I've created a smart playlist that they show up under.

As for Front Row, I've put them under a folder under Movies and they show up.

Not sure what it's doing (or not doing), but they are designated in the file as being TV Show.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I always find I have to remove the file from iTunes, Lostify, then add it to the iTunes library again. But when I do that it works all the time.

B

14. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I'll give remove and re-add to iTunes a try. Thanks.