Front Row won't display photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipoddin, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I just imported 6000 photos in to iphoto and in iphoto, everything shows up just as it should.

But in Front Row, when I click on iPhoto it tells me there are no photos in my iphoto library. To import photos in to my iphoto library. But there are already 6000 in there! What gives?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Try quitting out of iPhoto so the database can update itself. Then reopen iPhoto and Front Row.

If that doesn't work, try re-booting.

If that doesn't work, try repairing permissions.

Those are the (3) simplest things to do before tackling more complex solutions.

ft

3. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Tried first two suggestions last night and didn't work. I'll try the third but that seems odd. This is a brand new mac one day old, fresh import of photos, and first time I fired up Front Row. You'd think it would just work fresh out of the box....

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Common, bad advice.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not to pick a fight, but why do you think repairing permissions is bad advice?

6. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

7. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

8. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Discovered the problem and it wasn't related to permissions. Thought I'd post in case anyone else has a similar problem.

After doing a lot of research on apple's forums, I saw other users had similar problems and I downloaded iphoto library manager as well. Turns out, it was a problem with keywords.

I originally exported my photos from my PC. I was using Picassa and had tagged all of them with keywords. Turns out, the keywords stayed with the images and iphoto had a problem with that. None of the other ilife apps would recognize my iphoto library either so this was a bigger problem. iPhoto saw some invisible characters from the Picassa keywords and that was the root of the problem.

The resolution: go in to iphoto preferences and delete ALL of the keywords that came in from Picassa (first four keywords are included in iphoto so you can leave those). Problem solved with Front Row and all other iLife apps. Only downside is that I have to go back and retag 6000 photos :( But at least all works now!

9. Dan== macrumors newbie

Thank you SO much for posting! This is definitely going to be the problem with my Mom's new Mini. I dumped all my photos from Picassa in there, and get the same problems you had.

Apple should address this.

Some more keywords for other's searching:
    Front Row iPhoto problem no photos library problem load photos

10. ironring2006 macrumors member

Just thought I would post and say this fix worked for me. I too was having probmems no longer seeing my iPhoto library in Front Row and other apps (Keynote, etc) after I imported some photos from my previous Picasa library that were tagged with keywords. Getting rid of the keywords allowed me to see my iPhoto library from other apps. Hopefully Apple addresses this issue in iLife '07, but I doubt it is high on their list of priorities. I think they'd just rather get everyone to use iPhoto in the first place.