FrontRow 2?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by R.Youden, Jan 8, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

With all this MWSF rumors around the "iTV" and the "iPhone" people appear not to be mentioning FrontRow 2. From what I can remember when iTV was launched Steve showed off a new version of FrontRow.

Will this be avaliable for all FrontRow users or just the iTV? I hope that is a download for everyone as I use a mini as a home cinema.

What features will we see?

As with almost all Apple products I hope that they make it open to 3rd party plug-ins but I aint holding my breath!

2. tvguru macrumors 6502

If I remember right, an updated version of Frontrow was said to be part of Leopard and for all macs not just the ones it cam pre-installed on.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

From what we know, Front Row isn't what is on the iTV. It's the OS that it on the iTV. Yes, it looks similar, but I doubt it is Front Row 2.

Front Row 2, however, should be a part of Leopard if I remember right. Or at least a version of Front Row for all of us.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think Front Row 2.0 will make it's debut as the version bundled with Leopard. It better run on all Macs that can run Leopard, none of this "requires a Core Image graphics card etc." malarkey.

I'll be interested to see what they do with it, hasn't really interested me before because it won't run on my iBook in it's current form without some arsing about but if the version bundled with Leopard can run on all Leopard-capable Macs I reckon that'd be pretty darned sweet.

5. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

The only think I know for sure about FrontRow is that it will be available in Leopard for all platforms, rather than the limited subset it is at the moment.

Pretty handy as I've got an old PPC Mini in the living room and I'd like to run FrontRow on it without hacking about.

Now if it could support remote/bonjour iTunes libraries as well...

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I never saw what was good about FrontRow when it first came out. But since I hooked my MB upto my TV I find FR is great. :D An updated version can only be a good thing. :)

7. tvguru macrumors 6502

Does it not do that right now? I know it does that for movies and pictures, but not sure about music.

8. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Does it? I couldn't get it to work if it does, they just didn't show up anywhere in the music section. If it does that'd be great, is there some setting to change?

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You have to enable music and image sharing in system prefs.

10. tvguru macrumors 6502

I dunno, but I get a "Shared Music" selection when I go into Front Row and when I click on it, it tries to find shared music. Unfortunately I don't have another computer on my network as I'm away from home.

Edit:
    I was just about to add this good catch.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pretty sure it does. If the remote iTunes library is set to share (in Preferences) then Front Row should display it in a "Shared Music" entry in the UI.

Yep, just checked the Front Row info on the MBP page. Definitely supports Bonjour shared remote libraries. Make sure your iTunes settings on all the computers are set such that the libraries are shared and iTunes is looking for shared libraries.

Also make sure you're running the most recent version of Front Row, I think it's 1.3

EDIT - OK, so it's System Preferences not iTunes Preferences.

12. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Excellent! Thanks, will give that a go. Will make FrontRow actually useful for me.

13. Jowl macrumors 6502

Direct EyeTV support in Frontrow. Or at least something on-par with EyeTV for recording etc.

But First of all, I hope they allow Quicktime (and therefore front row) to pass through AC3 sound - so I can Rip my DVD's to Hard drive in mp4 and still have Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. Otherwise I have to play in VLC.

14. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

New cinema displays with iSights and IR for macpro and mini front row.

15. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

EyeTV support would be amazing, but I doubt it knowing Apple.

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Well, some of you want EyeTV integration with Front Row, but what else would you want from FR2? Other than artwork browsing capability, FR is good enough as it is for me.

17. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

one feature i would love is the ability to rate songs when listening to them in front row. I have about 3000 songs, but not many are rated. However the only way to rate them when listening is through iTunes.

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think they should buy EyeTV and include integration for it like CoverFlow and iTunes...

If it came built into minis/macbooks/iMacs, i.e. consumer end products, it would be a great bonus...

19. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I'd like them to fix the menu lag and unresponsiveness, before adding lots of new features.

(Though it could be that my remote needs a new battery. Doubt it, since it is only a few months old and hardly used.)