Frontrow and avis/mpegs!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dancertom3, Jan 31, 2007.

1. dancertom3 macrumors member

Sorry, new mac user. Just switched today!! :D

How do I get Frontrow to work with avi's and mpegs? I've got VLC for playing outside of Frontrow, but would really love to use frontrow, as it's easier, and prettier!!!

Any help?

2. MacSociology macrumors regular

You´ll need the codecs (I use Perian.org for that) for Quicktime. Place the movies in >>Video

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Perian is awesome. :)

My videos are on an external drive, so I placed an alias to that location in my Movies folder and it works fine.

4. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

I've got an external Hard Drive that I want to keep my movies on too! How do I place an alias to it, so it will work? And does it automatically see which file is a movie and which is a TV show? Can I use iTunes to define that without adding the files to my iTunes Library?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

On the external drive, I right-clicked on the folder that had my content, chose "Make Alias", and then moved the file that was created to my Movies folder.

Using that method, everything shows up in Movies in Front Row -- not under TV, etc. I'm not sure how to make TV shows appear in TV if the show is encoded in a way that iTunes doesn't like, which seems to be how 99% of the shows I get are. :)

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

You can use lostify to tag .mp4s as TV shows, then they will show up under the TV show section in itunes. Unfortunately, lostify can only read .mp4 videos, no .mov or mpegs, so if you are really serious about putting the show in the TV section you will need to convert them to .mp4.

But even this will not work if you are using an external drive, in order for itunes to put them in the right section you need to drag the videos into the library. Unless of course your itunes library resides on an external drive as well, in which that case it will work fine.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian