FrontRow - MCE Vista - Blatant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MajereXYU, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MajereXYU macrumors regular

Link

Taken from This page.

Blatant rip-off, no subtelty in the copying.
    Someone is desperate make its product look like its competitor to soften the hit in sales it's gonna take by releasing a weak O.S, crippled by numerous new (for Windows) features being pulled every day, Years late...

Judge for yourselves.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Just like Front Row being a ripoff of MCE which was released years before?

Uh-huh.

3. Rovman macrumors regular

I'm sorry to say this, but it is an undeniable fact that Windows MCE is far superior to Front Row.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. Completely. Not that it'd take much to beat out Front Row.

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, now that all the new machines have Front Row and I'm still stuck on my PMG4, it'd be nice to even have it.

Steve Jobs replied to a "media center" comment in their last quarterly meeting. So I'm still hoping for that. Given that OS X is superior, I bet their media center would be superior to MCE as well.

6. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

actually it's a psp rip off, but seriously just shut up.

everything is based off something, let the market dictate what is or isn't superior

7. MajereXYU thread starter macrumors regular

I know Frontrow is a copy of MCE and I prefer MCE for my needs.

MCE was a copy of myHTPC (now Meedio, which has been bought by Yahoo!) and others too.

Apple just jumped on the HTPC bandwagon and offered an interim solution to say "me too".

My guess is they will eventually release a fully-featured HTPC app but with no PVR capability (since they sell TV shows now, it would be against their benefits to allow people to record TV shows themselves at no cost).

In my eyes, Apple designing an application which answers a specific need and getting inspiration from the established leaders in the field (MCE and myHTPC) is not worse than Toyota, GM, Ferrari making cars (one could say they copied Ford, who invented the mass-produced car) but if Toyota or GM made an exact same copy a another company's car and sold it as its own...

Or Apple creating Pages and Keynote... Sure it will function the same as Word/Excel or WordPerfect/Presentation. They have to keep the design and functionality similar to have a competing product. But you don't see Clippit in Pages do you? And Pages doesn't have a Fisher-Price-blue bar with a big red "X" on top of it, does it?

What I mean is that Microsoft copied the "mirrored on black" theme Apple started using with Tiger's release (iChat Video Conference etc.). I could have said: coincidence. But looking at Vista's UI and functions, It's clear that it's no accident it looks so similar.

It's like if Apple changed the menu bar (top of the screen) to be FisherPrice-Blue and changed the Blue Apple Menu to green and put "Start" on it... I mean come on, a little influence is not bad, but downright blatant copying is a little weak.

There is also the icon for Vista's search function... It's the exact same icon as Spotlight but the magnifying glass is facing the opposite way. (Look at the icon in the lower-left corner next to a text box)

I don't know. Maybe it's me who's freaking out but I think Vista is shaping up to be a GUI-Copy of OSX on top of an insecure Kernel with annoying pop-up messages every time you wanna click something...
    I mean, sure Windows XP was not doing the user any favors by giving admin priviledges by default. OSX doesn't do that, it requires user interaction every time a destructive/potentially dangerous action is done. Vista, on the other hand, bugs you litterally every minute for a password (it even asks for passwords when initiating system-level services that normally have to run to ensure Windows operation...).

Look at this link... This is what you must do to delete a simple shortcut on your desktop.
    Simple enough? Wow, really secure, now to help mom and pop and granny delete AOL and Earthlink shortcuts from their desktops... Where did I put my manual again?

Don't get me wrong, I've used Windows since 95 (even used DOS before that) and I've had Macs for 2 years now. I still have a pretty nice PC that I almost never turn on. I just prefer OSX for my needs. I don't have a bias, I'll use whatever is best/suits my needs best.

I'm no fanboy; if Apple makes a better product for my needs, I use it, if MS makes a better product, I use it.

Though I have to say that Vista seems like good intentionned, I think it will fall short (but still sell lots, not everyone knows there are alternatives to Windows) and that is because it will not bring much improvements on key weaknesses of XP, namely:

-The Registry (please get rid of this mess)
    -.dll dependencies/conflicts
    -Buggy drivers (Hardware makers' fault)
    -Poor intall/uninstall methods (mostly for small 3rd party apps... I hate it when I uninstall some app and then still find dozens of entries left in the registry, .dll's in folders other than the installation folder etc...)

-Poor app installation management from MS. Apple does it more conveniently. I agree that some OSX apps still use an installer and put files all over the place but they are a minority.

-Annoying pop-ups, alerts, prompts, messages. Windows tries to be secure (since SP2) but impedes user by doing so. Google the acronym "UAP" for instance. People are going nuts using Vista (agreed, it's still in Beta) because of UAP (User Account Protection) asking for passwords even to change mouse settings.

-Instead of copying eye-candy, the Windows team should read up on Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and try to design something intuitive and simple for once. Out with the cluttered and awkward interfaces. In with the simple and well laid-out interfaces. The saddest part is, their dev team is maybe one of the better funded in the world, they have ressources, money and yet, they still can't come out with something usable and pleasant to use.

I give up. I'll never get it.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They're just trying to put everything in there. Don't mind that none of it is complete or well done, it's in there. It may not even be something useful, but they've added it just to say that it's in there.

Simple for the customer is not a Microsoft dictate. Simple for the developer is cost effective and gives them more time to shoot rubber bands around the office.

9. MajereXYU thread starter macrumors regular

10. Project macrumors 68020

A lot of the stuff doesnt really bother me, but its when Microsoft takes the little things that I sit up and take notice. Take for instance, the Windows Live banner for all their Live websites.

[​IMG]

Does the background look familiar?

11. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I think Microsoft should trademark the word Beta. It seems to be on all their products these days.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't really consider MCE and Front Row competitors. MCE is a legitimate piece of software, whereas Front Row is more of a tacked-on extra.