FrontRow Shortcut On Dock How???

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Pct1theory, Feb 10, 2007.

1. macrumors member

sup guys,
    i wanted to know if u guys have any idea on how to make a shortcut to frontrow on the dock, so when i click it it comes up....

i have the :apple: remote, and the keyboard shortcut to it, but i want it in my dock
    and i have a icon of the :apple: Apple Remote for the shortcut...

any of u guys know how???

2. macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Well, I did a spotlight search for "front row" and nothing came up but a crash log. =/

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

⌘-esc brings it up... not sure how to make a dock link, but that's a pretty easy button combo. :)

4. macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Yes, it is. Almost like bringing up the Force Quit. :) Thanks for pointing this out, I never knew that.

5. macrumors 6502a

i set mine to f8 to follow the suite of expose keys, however you can activate front row by using apple script and making it call the hot key for front row, then save the script as a app and put it in the dock

6. thread starter macrumors member

how would i make a apple script to do that???

7. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Well what you could do is create a automator action or a applescipt that does this. Then just place that in the dock.

Edit: oops thought i read the whole thread. I think you could do a tell finder but i am trying to find out how to send a key combo in applescript.

8. macrumors 6502a

Heres the code for a key combo, however i havnt the time atm to work out how to do f8 in it

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "a" using command down & shift down

9. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

I found out how to do it without changing shortcuts.
    Code:
    tell application "System Events"
    tell application "Front Row" to activate
    key code 53 using {command down}
    delay 0.0
    key code 53
    end tell
    Works fine. :D then just save it as a application. Now I would love to get a pretty icon for it. But i don't think apple has made a front row icon....

10. thread starter macrumors member

i did that and then i saved it as a app on my desktop, then i dragged it to my dock and clicked on it and nothing happend..

but when i'm in apple script, and i click run it works.... wtf??Might Get a 12" PowerBook G4 soon......:D

11. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Try saving it as a application bundle. Thats what i did and it works fine.

12. thread starter macrumors member

thxs bro, i got it to work i have a Apple Remote Icon if any of u guys want it just let me know by sending me a mesg.

THXS!

13. macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

In case anyone wanted to know, the Front Row application can be found in System>Library>CoreServices>FrontRow.app.

Dragging it to the dock and clicking on it doesn't bring up Front Row by the way.

14. macrumors P6

Peace

That's because it's part of the core services and the typical user only has read permissions.In other-words it's an app per se but it's designed to be run by another service.