FrontRow with Dual Displays..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FunBoy50, Aug 1, 2006.

1. FunBoy50 macrumors newbie

As much as i love having my graphics card hooked up to an apple DVI to Video adapter and plugged into my TV in the living room, i still want more!

Is it not possible for my mac to have front row running and playing video on the 2nd video output (my TV) whilst the primary output has the OS X GUI, and the ability to use the system as normal?

Currently when i start FrontRow, my screen (connected to primary output) goes black while FrontRow is displayed on the TV..

This can be annoying if i wanna check an email, or find something on the net whilst me and my mates are watching FrontRow.

Surely there is a way around this?

Any suggestions?

THANKS!! :)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There must be, but I haven't found it.

How did you get Front Row to display its video on the secondary display? For me it always goes wherever the Dock is. Unlike QuickTime...

B

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, I ended up just mirroring to get it to work seemlessly. Not a good solution.

4. crazyjoeda macrumors member

yeah I would like to know how to do this as well.

5. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

there was a script going around which would move the menu bar to the second screen then lauch frontrow and return the menubar to its orginal location but it was a bit buggy

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, it would nice to be able to have FrontRow open on one of my displays and to have the desktop/my other apps open on the other display. :)

7. FunBoy50 thread starter macrumors newbie

its really simple to get front row on your secondary display.

Go to System Pref and click Displays, click arrangement, and drag the menu bar onto your secondary screen. FrontRow will launch on which ever screen has the Menu bar.

Sadly, it makes your primary display go black, and i wanna find a way around that!!

Help :)

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

But it should be a simple preference thing not moving things about.And as you say, the black screen is annoying.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I thought that by definition the primary display was always the one with the menu and dock. :p As I said, Front Row always follows the dock.

That's why, when playing movie trailers I tend to do it in QT not FR.

B

10. FunBoy50 thread starter macrumors newbie

shame no-one knows a way around this...

i would love to have FrontRow playing a movie in the living room whilst being able to use my Mac in my room for internet and stuff on my monitor...

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

One can only hope that it'll be improved in Leopard.

I noticed today that iTunes is also silly about its full screen mode for purchased TV shows. Even if I moved the movie playing window to the HDTV Full screen would come back to the internal. Had to view it in QT to play it on the TV while still being able to use the internal LCD.

B