FROZEN iBook cause of widgets

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mbopy22, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hi

My iBook froozes everytime I try to open the dashboard, it actually gets froze on the dashboard and then when I try to work on the desktop, the DOCK froozes and it won't maximize or do the genie effect... :confused: :confused: :confused: and then nothing will work... :eek: :mad:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ignoring the spelling/grammar/etc...

Have you installed any new widgets? Can you try removing all your Widgets and adding them one at a time to find the problem one?

The reason the Dock freezes after Dashboard has frozen is that the Dashboard process is owned by the Dock. So anything that hangs Daashboard will hang the Dock. The Dock also manages minimizing so if it's frozen no window can be minimized.

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

In the holiday spirit that will be overlooked as well.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok, time to try the usual mumbu jumbo™ first:

Does this happen when you're logged into another user account on your Mac (make one to test if needed)?

Have you repaired permissions and run the periodicals? Check out the guide or get something like MainMenu if you're not sure how...

Have you installed any new widgets lately?

Do you have any hacks/themes/etc running?

Do you have any torrent apps running?

You could also try getiing rid of some preference files, like ~/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist and ~/Preferences/com.apple.dashboardclient.plist and those for the dock, syestemUIserver (in byHosts), all the different widgets (most of those have filenames starting with widget-com), etc. etc.

Edit: Beaten to the most usual points... ;)

5. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hello First of all THANKS for your repplies, second sorry for the spelling I'm still sleepy..

Answers.

1- I only have one account. MINE
    2-Nop I haven't repaired permission.. don't know how...
    3- No new widgets installed
    4-No hacks
    5- No torrent app. running

On your suggestion... :confused: :confused: you just talked in Japanesse... :confused: sorry..

I only use my computer on normal boring stuffs, AKA MSN Messenger, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, Text, Word, and that's basically it... :rolleyes:

6. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

No new widgets installed, and I've tried to close the widgets to relaunch them, and that's when the problem starts... it gets frozen... :( :confused: and doesn't allow me to close any widget... it's froze on the widget manager control... :confused: :(

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Normal and boring? I think a high percentage of people use their Macs in much the same way you do. I know I can relate to your typical usage.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Doh!

I was being careful as well as I knew I'd be pulled up on any errors :D

In my defense I'm on a PC at work so no built in spell checker for text boxes on web pages :(

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hmm sounds strange. As suggested above try repairing permissions although I don't think this will help. You do this using Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.

Then try trashing your widget preferences (in ~/Library/Preferences/).

After that... I'm not too sure.

10. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Didn’t mean it in a bad sense… it was just to highlight my ignorance in what it comes to programming and complicated stuff… :confused:

Anyway my Mac is NOT boring at all for ME,

I L O V E it:p :) ;)

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

No defense necessary ... we are friends here. It is time for work now ... have yourself an enjoyable day.

12. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Is this MainMenu the same as MacJanitor???? How does it work???
    Do you think that if I downloaded on my thumbdrive I can later take it to my iBook and installed?? this is due I'm at work and here we use HELL upss sorry DELL... LOL LOL

13. esXXI macrumors member

1. Open up System Preferences (In you Applications folder), go to Accounts and add another. Log out of your current one and switch to the other and try dashboard to see if it works.
    2. To repair permissions, go to your Applications folder, then open up the Utilities folder inside of it. Open the application called "Disk Utility." On the left of the app are your hard-drives. Select the top one that's named (it might be "Macintosh HD" or such). Then click on the "Repair Disk Permissions" button that appears. Wait for it to finish before doing other things.

Hope that helps a little.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

From what I read on the MacJanitor page, MainMenu will do all that MJ does, and much, much more (e.g. repair permissions).

Go with MainMenu, and, yes, you can download it onto a thumbdrive and install it when you get home. :)

With MM you get access to all the most important maintenance tasks directly from your menu:

Attached Files:

15. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

HEY THANKS I've just ran twice the permission verify and repair and after a while I got my widgets working again. I closed the one's I do not use, but one weird thing happend dough.. I had to close like 6 or 7 times each widget, I mean I'll close one and it won't go away there was another one righ under it.. but now they're fine.. I will download MainMenu..

One more question if I may... how can I change the apperance on the world clock widget... I use to have 2 worldclocks with different cities one in black and the other in white.. now I opened 4 clocks and they are all black... how can I change it???:confused:

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sounds like a weird problem. Some maintenance is way overdue... ;)

The world clock changes from black to white to indicate night and day... :)

17. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

LOL LOL that's what I call been practicle.... Steve is a Genious... LOL :p :D