Frustrated, Giving up hope on iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 53399, Jun 29, 2005.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

when u say switch back, u mean to linux or windows. either way just wait ( you will be happy when it comes)

2. xisforextreme macrumors member

xisforextreme

Me too. i've been waiting months and months for an ibook, but they really seem to have confused everyone with the whole "no updates tot he ibook for over 250 days" thing. if they dont release an updated version by the 7th, then I'm going to go back to Toshiba. For some people, like me, getting a powerbook instead of waiting for an iBook just isnt an option as its out of my price range, and I'm leaving the country to go and study abroad soon, so I need it NOW.
    Apple, I'm afraid you've lost a customer for life if you don't do something about the iBook (I mean come on, how can you even think about selling a laptoip that is not able to use all the features of you're latest operating system, and then bundling it with an inferior amount of memory?)

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Why cant you buy the iBook now, why wait. What is it that you need to do that is not in the iBook?

5. gog macrumors regular

What can't you do with an iBook? How about get viruses and spy-ware, and crash windows every day.

6. ashon3611 macrumors member

ashon3611

me too, im giving it to the end of july for them to release a new ibook, if not... its a dell 600m for me... i cant justify spending 1000 bucks on a laptop that can't even take advantage of all the feature of an operating system (Core Image).

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

He's going to be using linux so thats not the question anyway...I agree with the wait for the iBook being too long maybe you should think about picking up a second hand iBook off ebay maybe one of the first rev G4's they are nice machines and you can keep it until the intel macs come out....Thats what i would do in your position...

SHadOW :cool:

8. law guy, Jun 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011

law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

That's not bad. Is there an .edu discount on the refurbished units as well as the new or just on the new?

On the current new line-up, I'm not sure an update is really worth waiting for - esp. if the next move is in the nature of a 1.33 to 1.5 speed bump.

9. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The diffuculty is that APple efurbished over charge in comparison to ebay try looking for one of the 800mhz or 933mhz G4 iBooks they go for some sweet prices on ebay....

Also if you buy a iBook over a PC at least you will have a sweet piece of hardware which will look and feel great for years to come....You cant say that for any other laptops in my opinion.

ShadOW :cool:

10. JonMaker, Jun 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011

JonMaker macrumors regular

OK, I know we are all rather disappointed about the lack of updates, and you aren't the first to suggest irrational purchasing decisions. Come on, people!

I know that sooner or later (though preferably sooner) Apple will release updates to the iBook. I, for one, will be waiting for those updates.

I also suggest that you learn to spell "Ubuntu" properly before you even consider using it as your primary OS.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!

I am reminded of the story of a gold digger who digged for years hoping to strike the motherlode gold vein that would lead him to untold riches. One day, he decided he had had enough, quit and sold his little mining operation. Little did he know that within a few days, the new owner struck gold which would become the largest gold find in history. True story.

12. rabadash macrumors newbie

Seeing as many college bound students are raining on the ibook parade, I'll join in. It was a matter of hoping for updates in march/april, now it's getting close to the deadline and apple still hasn't delivered. Sure I can do most everything I need with the current Ibook, but if that's the case, why does apple update their computers at all? If I'm gonna buy new hardware for school, I wan't it to be new, not 9 months old. It just goes against the consumer in me to buy a laptop that old. I was gonna switch, I just need apple to update the mini or the ibook and I'm all set. However, given thinksecret's latest reports on the mini, and the fact that it's looking more and more likely that the ibook won't be released until the paris expo(which is after my school starts), I'm scrambling to find a good x86 alternative to apple. Sure I'll be happy if the ibook is updated after all this time, but many of us have a deadline to buy the ibook, and for us students that the ibook is targeted at, that deadline is early september. I haven't owned a mac since I was 15 (a performa) and I was hoping to own a new one, but it seems steve's boat left without me this time.

13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats very true....All the people waiting avidly for the new iBook will be overwhelmed with happiness the day it is released making getting one all the sweeter...

ShadOW
    ;)

14. ATRAX macrumors newbie

ATRAX

I think you're all going to be very disappointed if there are any updates to the iBook because I feel they won't get any faster of a CPU. If they did they would start to compete with the 1.67 Powerbooks which are already at 10 times their system bus. Anything above 1.67 would be a joke.

If anything they'll upgrade the RAM to 512MB and *possibly* upgrade the GPU with more vram.

15. Sam I Am macrumors regular

Exactly! I know I will be sooooooo overwhelmed with happiness that day when new iBooks are released. *Hopefully* it will be next week.

16. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Geesh, he said he was switching to Linux. So no there will be no viruses and spyware.

17. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I've posted on this two times previously, but that was the rational before the last iBook update. The update was:

iBook 12" 1.2 Ghz G4/256 MB/30 GB/Combo/AE $999
    iBook 14" 1.33 Ghz G4/256 MB/60 GB/Combo/AE $1299
    iBook 14" 1.33 Ghz G4/256 MB/60 GB/SuperDrive/AE $1499

vs then current:

PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz G4/256MB/Combo drive/AE $1599
    PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz G4/256MB/SuperDrive/AE $1799
    PowerBook 15" 1.33GHz G4/256MB/Combo Drive/AE $1999
    PowerBook 15" 1.33GHz G4/512MB/SuperDrive/AE $2499

So if history is a guide, they have room to update. Hell, they could do something crazy for that matter and update both.

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't see how iBooks could possibly be upgraded before powerbooks are. This is why Apple's switching to Intel -- there's just no plan for the G4 to get much faster. If you'd rather have a PC, then just switch back. Personally I'd rather have today's iBook than today's cheapo Dell notebook.

19. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I have a PowerMac G5 and two windows boxes (desktop and Thinkpad). Windows XP pro w/ protection is really a super reliable, stable OS.

20. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Yes, I have to agree in general with this thread. I'm personally waiting to see what their upgraded PowerBooks look like and what they can do. Heck, even a good iBook might fit my needs. But, the attraction of running Windows based programs natively (Mactel) rather than through emulation is a big draw: in my research field there are just some programs that I need to use that are not available on the Mac. Everything else (90% of my work/life) would run fine on the Mac.

I almost hate to say it, but I find that Windows XP to be a lot better these days since I upped my spyware and virus protections and switched to FireFox. Sure, it's not as great as Mac OS X, but it does the job pretty well. In fact, I found XP on my old ThinkPad to be very good, almost rivalling my wife's Titanium Book in terms of no-downtime.

It's a shame that Apple can't be a bit more timely or forthcoming with their updates, and then to take forever with shipping is just ridiculous. It's tough enough for regular consumers to be always in the dark, and it's even worse for us that need it for work/research/education: we just can't wait around for a big event or holiday sale.

21. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

It's probably not about what you can't do, it's more a psychological thing. Who wants to spend a lot of money on a piece of hardware that's pretty outdated and seems to be abandoned by the manufacturer?

22. Whistleway macrumors 6502

I been waiting and waiting and reading more stories on MR these days for a ibook.

it sucks.. period. i think, i should have bought it last xmas. but, stupid me.. and now, i just have no clue as to what to get. I wish i can afford a pb :(

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You might have to wait until the end of September, then the free iPod mini promotion ends.

24. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I'm in agreement with almost everything you say. I like the current Books just fine, but am also really looking forward to the Intel Books. It's not that the current Books are so slow, it's that the Intel Books should be even better.

I also find Windows XP a lot more palatable now with the following-
    1. Firefox
    2. Google Desktop
    3. FlyaKite OSX to make it look nicer

The one thing I find on my work notebook computer (a pretty current 1.5 Pentium M) is that I get the beach balls more often than my PowerBook. (Yes, beach balls and not hourglass, since I have Flyakite! ;) )

A Intel Book will basically combine the best of both worlds. I don't think it will be an earth-shattering difference though, although a dual boot machine would be pretty nice for those who also need to run some Windows stuff.

I think Apple is trying about as hard as it can to come out with new notebooks, it's not like they're not aware people have been waiting for G5 notebooks for ages...The Intel switch should make updates more timely though.

If want or need a notebook now though, it will be a long wait until the Intel notebooks. I also wouldn't expect any earth-shattering updates until then, basically just speedbumps to refresh the lineup. So buying a current iBook is not a big deal vs. waiting for the next bump.