frustrated with freezing iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ero87, Jul 30, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey all,

Here's my situation- I had a faulty iPod photo that kept freezing and givign me the sad iPod face. Apple was nice enough to send me a refurbished iPod for free, because my broken iPod was in its 11th month. Now, this new iPod is having identical (but more frequent) issues! It's under three months old (I recieved it on May 2nd), but the apple website is telling me it's over warranty. Is this absurd or what? They sent me a broken product.

Is there anything I can do, possibly fixing the iPod myself? I doubt that a full restore will work; I tried that on my old machine, and the problem persisted.
    I'm spending the summer as a counselor at a summer camp btw, so I have no access to an apple store or my iMac until late august.

Any ideas/sympathy? thanks guys.

2. CuteGothTech macrumors member

CuteGothTech

Yes!!

There is something you can do! Call 1-800-sos-apple and raise hell. The last person who did this (last Thursday) called about his iPod having a dead logic board and hard drive right after the warranty ran out. He raised hell with Apple and they replaced it with a new one.
    Good luck, and don't give up!

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

My 5G iPod freezes pretty often, but only when its docked in the Altec Lansing InMotion speakers.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

good news! I called that number (thanks cutegothtech!), politely argued a bit, and they're replacing it! apple's super.

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yep. I did the same. I had 3 faulty ipod photos (one didnt even work straight from apple) and they upgraded me from a 20 to 30gig one. (Which I went and sold and bought a video :p)

6. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

wait a minute- I've been playing my ipod directly through Altec Lansing computer speakers. it's not a dockable thing (it plays through the headphone jack), but might that be causign the problems? i.e., should I not play my replacement iPod in those speakers?

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If it freezes only when connected to your speakers, sure.

8. Timepass macrumors 65816

well try testing it by putting the iPod in hard drive mode and see what happens.

My G4 ipod acts up at times like that. I giving it a few good wacks and it works again. Who say volilents doesnt solve anything? it fix my iPod and since I smash it 3 hard times into the table it hasnt had a problem (unlike before where it was hit or miss when I turn it on)

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I just squeeze my iPod whenever it freezes. I hear clicking sounds from the shell adn then it's good to go. ;)

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

to resurrect an old thread... I've had my 30 gb 5G video iPod just more than two weeks and I find that every morning, the damn thing is frozen. It will unfreeze after toggling the lock switch a bit (takes about 5 mins for it to start up), however. Is this normal iPod behavior or would you say there is something defective about the iPod? Would it be worthwhile resetting it?

yt

11. Kuzzer macrumors newbie

Same problem here - anyone found a solution?

I have exactly the same problem - 160Gb iPod freezes - but only when connnected to my previously-totally-trusty inMotion speakers.

Has anyone found a solution / workaround, yet?

Thanks all.

Kuzzer

12. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Reset it, definitely. Hold down the Menu and center keys until it reboots. I'd consider restoring it as well.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/