Frustrated with MR crashing the browser

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by CanadaRAM, Oct 6, 2005.

1. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If I type a longish reply in Internet Explorer WinXPSP2, half the time IE will crash (go non-responsive) immediately on hitting Submit. Once in a while it will freeze for a minute or two and then the site will finally respond and accept the submission. This leads me to beleive it is a server-generated problem, not a local one. (happened again just now - a PM took 3+ minutes "hourglassing" to come back with "incorrect username" error)
    I did delete and totally reinstall IE. This does not happen with any other site, including vBulletin sites.

Also, if I use Mozilla, it will work for a while, and then links to threads will start displaying raw code (not just the HTML source, this code includes server header information) rather than the page. Once this starts happening on one thread, it affects all threads untill I quit Mozilla and restart. It may take 25 read posts before it happens, or only 5. Again, no problem with other sites and other vBulletin boards.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Wait CanadaRAM does it tell you that Internet Explorer has crashed and is creating a log.

I have that happen ALL THE DAMN TIME at work in the hospital.

Annoying as all damn, only happens on MR too for me.

3. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, I have to force quit it because the application is not responding.

Me and Windows error logs don't get along - I try not to go there....

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hmmm Mine i just have to hit cancel and then it crashes on me and i have to open it backup it happens between every 10-30 minutes. Scary thing is once i left the computer there for 5 minutes and i come back, no links hit or anything on macrumors, i move the mouse and it crashes.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Not sure what the problem is. Seems a curious problem. vbulletin recently upgraded... so perhaps the upgrade may help.

arn

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Not using IE here, but I have noticed other small problems that look vaguely cookie-related, such as threads that should change to read when moving up a level that don't. It doesn't happen all the time, but it was happening this morning for a while. That shows up on both Safari and Camino when it happens at all. It may be totally unrelated, but the incorrect username message described by CanadaRAM made me go hmmm.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Perhaps the MacRumors website is telling you you should be browsing it on a Mac?

*rimshot*

:eek: :D

RedTomato

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This happened once to me yesterday after writing a fairly long reply in IE at work but I figured someone was trying to tell me I should be working rather than reading MR!

9. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, you try using IE on OS9 for stability and speed. Click on a MR link that opens in a new window. Go away and come back 5 minutes later to see whether it decided to load or not.
    * whoopee cushion farting noise *

10. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I *think* it is a server timing issue, 'cause it only happens when the reply box (or the PM box) has been up for more that 30 seconds or 1 munite. Not on short snappy replies.

Arn, this was happening consistently for the past couple of weeks and including last night, so if anything, I would guess a POST-upgrade problem.

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Just in case it can help any of you. I have never had macrumors.com crash on me when using Windows XP and Firefox. It may be worth a try. Get Firefox

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I can't get firefox on my work computer, for some reason i installed firefox and it made meditech no longer work all that well, we uninstall it and meditech starts working again.

13. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Freakin' Freak Freak!

Did it again, twice in a row. Don't know if it is specific to posts that have QUOTES in them, or if the variable is just the amount of time spent typing the Reply. Seems if it takes more than a minute to compose the reply, it crashes.
    And that's a real problem for me, beacuse I'm (how do you say) not the briefest of correspondents.... :eek:

I am also using Firefox: and it has the other problem - threads display for a while OK, then start returning raw server code, which it will then do on all threads until Firefox is quit and restarted. (this, by the way, on multiple different machines)

Edit: HMMM.. I started reading other posts with Firefox, and kinda forgot about the reply that was frozen in IE. 10 minutes later, the screen refreshed and the reply was posted! I'm still thinking server timeout issues...

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've had this same problem in IE for Windows... hit Submit or Preview on a reply to a message, and the browser goes non-responsive. (BTW, the messages in question ALL have QUOTE and /QUOTE tags in them.) The CPU activity also spikes to 50%+. Usually, killing and restarting IE takes care of the problem, but a few times, I've had to restart my Windows box (grrrr) in order for the problem to go away.

This happened to me as recently as yesterday evening.

15. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, ClayJ, you have the same symptoms. You're right, it seems to happen with quoted material.

Aargh - Firefox cr*pped out again. Here's what happens to Firefox -- you're going along fine until you click a thread and you get all this raw text:

Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.11 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
    X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.11
    Expires: 0
    Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Set-Cookie:
    etc. for about 20 more lines and then the HTML of the page

Edit... Agh. IE did it again on a PM reply. Force quit the thing after waiting 30 minutes.

16. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It's possible to run Firefox without actually installing it, in case that's what's causing problems. Just get the zip and extract to wherever you want.
    Also, have you tried Portable Firefox?

Last place I worked actually had Opera preinstalled on the machines. That was unexpected.

And I have no problems with MR using Windows XP Pro SP2/Firefox (though I'm currently using the 1.5 beta)

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I know this doesn't help much, but I'm using Firefox on WinXP SP1 (after the debacle of trying to install SP2 on my Dell I haven't dared do it on my work PC) and I've never had any problems with MR.

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

My issues are with Win2000 a the hospital

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Question

How did you uninstall IE off of XP?

Seriously. :/

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Seriously, you can't. There are all sorts of things you can do to make IE *not* be the default browser (there's a section under the Add/Remove Programs control panel that lets you control this), but you cannot actually REMOVE IE from Windows XP.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: Post #2,500! :)

21. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

2,500 posts in nine months ... very impressive!

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well i am at work again and i am getting an error and IE just crashes randomly on the site for no reason, only on this site too

23. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I have pretty much isolated it to any post or reply that contains a QUOTE in it. Looking at about a 90% error rate now on those ones in IE.

24. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I've activated the standard vBulletin 3 style (see the pop up Menu on the bottom left of the forums. Let me know if it happens with it too.

That'll help isolate it.

arn

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i believe i have isolated what is causing my browser at work to crash.
    i really think it is the ads on the forum that is killing IE. It never happens at any other site and only on the forums here