Frustrating error.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Quboid, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Quboid macrumors 6502

:mad:

Hey guys. I've been writing small C scripts for a short while now and it has been well up to today. i keep getting a strange error message when i have already fixed all the syntax mistakes. The strange thing is codes that i have already compiled and tried are now giving me the same message refuse to execute. The message is as follows:

"command/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1".

Anybody have any idea what this is? thanks, help would be appreciated.

2. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Can you give us the line of code that the error is for? Actually, a few lines above and below the line in question can help a lot in having us helping you.

3. Quboid thread starter macrumors 6502

thats the main problem i have. Its not giving me the line of code that the errror is for. All the syntaxes are perfect. It must fails to execute and give me that error. this is a program that functioned flawlessly until today:

#include<stdio.h>
    #include<math.h>
    int a, b, d, e, f, op , sqt;
    char c;

int main (void) /* basic mathermatical operacions*/
    {
    printf("enter a number");/*menu and asking for necessary data*/
    scanf("%i",&a);
    printf("enter another number");
    scanf("%i",&b);
    printf("this is the menu");
    printf("\n 1. *");
    printf("\n 2. +");
    printf("\n 3. -");
    printf("\n 4. /");
    printf("\n 5. mod");
    printf("\n 6. ^");
    printf("\n 7. square root");
    printf("\n choose an operation");
    //fflush(stdin);
    //c=getchar();
    scanf("%d",&op); /* effectuado las operaciones*/
    if(op==1){
    d=a*b;
    }
    if(op==2){
    d=a+b;
    }
    if(op==3){
    d=a-b;
    }
    if(op==4){
    d=a/b;
    }
    if(a>b||a==b)
    {
    if(op==5){ /* finding the mod* special function for mod*/
    e=a/b;
    printf("%d, is the the quotient and",e);
    d=a-b*e;
    }
    }
    if(a<b&&op==5)
    {
    printf("\n the first number is smaller than the second, the mod cannot be defined as a whole number");
    }

if(op==6){ /*raises the first number to the power of the second*/
    d=pow(a,b);
    }
    if(op==7){ /* square root operacion, special funcion inside, asks for data on which number to square root*/
    do{
    printf("\n for the square root of the first number enter 1 for the square root of the second number enter 2");
    scanf("%d",&sqt);
    if(sqt==1){
    d=pow(a,0.5);
    }
    if(sqt==2){
    d=pow(b,0.5);
    }
    }while(sqt!=2&&sqt!=1); /* validation ensuring user types 1 or 2 */
    }
    if(op<1||op>7){
    printf("\n error no seas buey");
    }
    else{
    printf(" \nthe result of your operation is: %d",d);
    }
    return 0;
    }
    I know its much, but its the only reference i have. It was working fine until today and i just dont get it. Thee error i mentioned just appears as an error, it doesnot point me to a line (i.e syntax error).

4. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I am relatively new to programming myself, but I have to ask why do you have "int main (void)"? I have never wrote void in my programs, I've only done "int main ()" That would be my only suggestion. I am not sure on some of the other code, such as "printf" or "scanf" because I've always used cout and cin, so I am not entirely sure about those syntaxes. They do look to be alright though....

Sorry, I'm not much help, I tried :eek:

EDIT:
    Not sure about this, but in your code
    "}while(sqt!=2&&sqt!=1); /* validation ensuring user types 1 or 2 */"
    does the do-while end with a semi-colon? I want to say that in either a while loop or a do-while loop, a semicolon is not used. I am not sure, that is the only other thing I can think of. After coding in assembly, it was actually harder than it should have been to read through that code, haha.

5. Quboid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks anyways. I am trying to figure out what i did to my computer recenly, and all i could remember doing yesterday was put enable "devmode" from terminal, i used a command that i got of this site yesterday, the command was surpose to allow me to move dashboard item to teh Desktop (it actually works but is not as cool , since the dashboard item is "always untop"), could it be related to me putting that command in terminal yesterday?

6. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

It's definitely a problem with your environment, I just compiled and executed the code without a problem.

7. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

What command are you trying to use to compile the c program. Please post the exact command line.

BTW: As a terminology point, the code you posted is not a "C script". It is a program written in the C programming language. All C code is compiled into a binary file that is executed. The word "script" is commonly used to refer to interpreted instructions such as in Applescript or the Bourne shell.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

9. Quboid thread starter macrumors 6502

Someone asked what command i am using to compile the program. in x ccode, when i hit build the program doesn't even execute and gives me this lame error. I am way far from compitent in the use of Xcode or anyy compiler for that matter, my skills in programming are purely due to logics, but i cant figure out this error at all. It makes no sence to me:

command/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1

whenever i try to build the (any) code, i get this message.
    Someone said they think the GCC is broken, i wouldn't surpose reintalling Xcode would help?

Any suggestion, anybody had a similar problem?

10. Quboid thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried building that code again and that's the entire error message:

powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0: no input files

rtharper mentioned the program compiled fine for him, so what am i missing?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if it were me, i'd start debugging my environment. make a new project, write a hello world program, and see if i could get that to run.

12. roberthuttinger macrumors newbie

I just got the same error!

but in the iPhone SDK. but heres the weird part. I had just added an array function, compiled, all good, but oops i forgot to add an NSInteger. So I added it and poof blamm whammo I get the error. I remove the NSInteger, and now its fine. Im rebooting (again) so hopefully its a temporary binding issue?

cheers.bo

tCiMP :apple: Wyzfam :apple: tMiMP :apple: My Baby Signs

13. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

this thread is 2 years old, and tangentially related to your problem. Start a new thread, and include the code that is failing.

-Lee