Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corsario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
After two frustrating weeks of trouble shooting, I would like to share with you my situation.

Two weeks ago I upgraded our living room HT to a new Onkyo TX-SR707 receiver and a new ATV (connected by HDI). The system includes a ComcastHD DVR (connected by HDMI) and an older DVD player (connected by component). The TV is a five year old Samsung RP DLP 1080i (also connected by HDMI to the new receiver).

The connections to the DVD player and the ComcastHD DVR have been flawless. When I first connected the ATV I went to the set up menu, connected to an AE base station (g) and uploaded a few hundred pics and homemade videos, no movies or music from iTunes. Since then, the receiver seems to have a great deal of trouble switching on to the ATV. I have made the following corrections:

All HDMI cables were unplugged and re-plugged.
All HDMi cables were upgraded to the Munster Cable "top of the line"
Switched the ComcastHD DVR and the ATV to other HDMI in connections in the back of the receiver
Re-setted the ATV to factory and uploaded only pics.
Made sure that the receiver was set to "Through" on the Monitor Out connection so that it would not do any upscaling.
Made sure that the HDMI option in the ATV was at AUTO. I also tried ALL the other options under HDMI
Changed the resolution on the ATV to all of the others, with the exception of 480P, no improvement.

None of the above worked. I then took the ATV to my main home theater in the basement. It has an older Onkyo TX-SR875 with an overhead JVC RS1 projector, Oppo Blu-Ray and a ComcastHD DVR. All the components were connected with HDMI, including the ATV. Guess what happen? The ATV worked in my basement like a charm!!

The problem is that I don't want the ATV in the basement HT, but upstairs so that the family can enjoy the pics and home made movies. After the ATV test in the basement, I took it back upstairs to the Onkyo 707 receiver. Guess what? Once again it could not switch from any components to the ATV except under these two circumstances:

1. If I selected ATV on the receiver and it did not connect, after turning the receiver off for 10 seconds it connected perfectly well. If I then switched to any other compoment, I could not switch back to the ATV unless I turned the receiver off again for ten seconds.

2. I turned the resolution of the ATV to 480P and guess what? The problem is gone!

It seems that there is an HDMI handshake or HDCP problem between the Onkyo 707 and the ATV. Given that the lower resolution doesn't uses HDCP that could be the issue, but this was not a problem at all in the basement HT with the Onkyo 875 receiver.

The one big difference between these two receivers is that the video processing CPU is a Faroudja for the 707 (where I can't get the ATV to work properly) and the 875 uses the Reon-HQV.

I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Regards and TIA,

José

Corsario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Have you tried setting the Onkyo HDMI output to Auto?

I think I did but to be honest with you, I have done so many things that I can't recall with certainty. I'll try again tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Corsario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Have you tried setting the Onkyo HDMI output to Auto?

I did it and again the ATV and the receiver would not be able to do an HDMI handshake. The problem is not present if I set the resolution of the ATV to 480P.

Could the problem be the TV??

José

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.