fry's employees

Discussion in 'Community' started by theonenonlyjoey, Jan 28, 2005.

1. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

Fry's employees in the Mac section are idiots. i decide to mess with one's head by asking him "What version of Windows is this powerbook running? i don't see a start menu." He picks up the price tag with all the specs on it and tellss me "XP Home" i looked in awe. i said "Oh XP home, can i upgrade that to Professional or 64 bit?" H replied with "I am absolutely 100% positive that you can." ....i ended up telling the other employees in the department and they all began laughing at him. i couldn't believe how serious he was.

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Fry's is good only if you really know what you want. Otherwise, youre just asking for trouble...

3. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

what's a Fry's? Is that like a Comp USA or something?

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I totally agree with that. Fry's has a good selection of products, but sometimes the employee's don't know squat. Half the time when you ask them a question about a computer or anything, they always look at the product's price/info tag for the answer (Like I could do that myself). But there are some employees that do know what they're talking about.

Aside from that, I am a big fan of Fry's.

Aside from what people may think about Comp USA, yea it's pretty much like that. You can view Fry's website at Outpost.com.

5. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

yeah fry's is great for comp products, the one that is near where i live, their is this guy that works in the networking area he KNOW EVERYTHING, he practically sold my parents on buying a router and explained to them in plain english while busting out all technical on me... he still works there.. so once in a while u do find a good employee

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I had some guy at Fry's tell me that the iMac was just a screen, computer sold separately. I challenged him to find the computer because it was running and I only saw the USB keyboard and mouse. He couldn't. "Where did the computer go" took on a new meaning...

And using a PowerBook on display, I sent a WinPopUp to a WinXP machine that said "WINNT_SYS32_KERNALERR: Windows has encountered an error. The operating system may be corrupted. Please shut down immediately and reinstall the Operating System"
    Guess what the Fry's people were doing as I left?

(Nothing.. left it there... hehehe)

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I love Fry's so much, but their employees really do suck.

I consistanly see 9 or 10 of them sitting on the washing machines talking while on the job.

As for their knowledge, I never ask questions :p.

scem0

8. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

How do you go about doing that? :D

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    sometimes u get good employees sometimes you get bad ones. more often than not the ones you get dont know much, but they have a rare jewel in there once in a while

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Except for the Apple Employee in My local CompUSA, about the only question I ever ask an employee in Bestbuy, CircuitCity, or a Fry's is "can I see the manual included in the box".

I rarely find anyone who can offer true HELP, and never use the word "apple" in a question-you can watch a glaze go over their face, their mouth gets stuck half open, and you can tell the blue screen of death is playing in their little rat brains! :p

11. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I prefer self education to salesmen, but since I rarely am the one forking over the cash for my electronics purchases, the salesman is the one that must do the convincing.

Now you see why I dont go to Fry's all that often :p

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    fry's has employees?

hate the place, hate the checkout lines, hate the haphazard selection...and 90% of the time their prices aren't any better than the other places.

there are plenty of computer stores around me who have excellent prices and a knowledgable staff such as melrosemac and unitek. or maczone and owc online.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I see lots of employees at Fry's, but never in the Mac section. I've been to one store half a dozen times, and have yet to see somebody in the Mac area to whom I could direct a question. From the sounds of your posts, maybe I'm better off.

They do have an excellent checkout line, with many cashiers in the busy season, and a single line with an employee efficiently directing people to the next open cashier.

Some prices are good, some are so-so. I haven't found software bargains there, but they stock lots of hardware. Overall, I give them a grade of B minus.

14. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Ah, ok thanks...hehe never head of a Fry's before :eek:

15. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Another good thing about Fry's is that they have a 30 day return policy with NO restocking fees; whereas the Apple Store has a 10 day (or is it 15?) return policy, course at the Apple Store you get the bag with an Apple logo on it and the lil gray straps for a backpack :D

However Fry's doesn't seem to carry the ATI 9800 PRO Mac Special Edition, so I had to go to Micro Center instead to get that.

Actually Fry's prices are lower on many Apple products. Like the 30" display costs $2999 at the Apple Store, right? Well at Fry's it cost $2995. Yea, yea I know, big woop :rolleyes: :D

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Pop open the Terminal and type 'man findsmb' and 'man smbclient'

NOTE: findsmb doesn't find SP2 machines with the firewall enabled and SAMBA sharing off

Any more help, PM me.

17. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Almost 1% off!! :eek:

Sign me up! :rolleyes:

18. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I love Fry's, and shop there all the time, even although they are not close by - I'm in West LA and they're in Manhattan Beach. But I'll be the first to admit that it's a dangerous thing to ask any Fry employee for technical advice, not only those who work in the Mac section.

The only thing that I ever ask Fry emplyees are where items are located and if they have any more in stock. They seem to do a good job on the easy questions :)

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But every now and then asking them, "Where's the Bathroom?" will confuse the heck out of them. :p

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since I always found that store (the one with the tropical theme) to be too small and crowded, I go to the Woodland Hills store (the one with the Alice in Wonderland theme) instead. Have you been there?

Has anyone noticed the URL of the right-hand frame on Fry's main page? It's foo1.html. Did they use the common placeholder word "foo" while designing the page and then forget to rename it to something more professional, or are they secretly calling us fools?

21. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I guess there really isn't much difference in driving distance between the 2 from my house, but I have never been to the one in the valley. Usually the traffic on the 405 from my house to Rosecrans isn't so bad weekday evenings - the time that I usually go - but it always looks a lot worse in the opposite direction, hence my reluctance to try that one.

Maybe one weekend I'll stop by there.

22. jasylonian macrumors regular

did fry's cut a deal with fujitsu? i just went there today to go laptop shopping with my sister and they kept pimping the fujitsu laptops. the apple section was probably better off than most apple sections (boo CompUSA) but the employees were just plain obnoxious.

23. The Past macrumors 6502