FS: 1ghz Powerbook + Other Systems, Brand Spankin' New =)

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by MacLover, Mar 30, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I can get 1ghz powerbooks for very cheap through a friend of mine at Apple, and I can pass the savings on to you. If you're worried about the security of the transaction, I am willing to set up escrow and full insurance. Save over $800 by buying through me.

Apple 1 ghz Powerbook: $2,799 at Apple Store ($3,106 with tax)

I'm selling this item for $2,299!! (OBO)

E-mail me if you're interested, or if you're interested in any other Apple items (Desktops, laptops, LCDs, iPods, etc.)

autumnserendipity@yahoo.com

2. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

Are you talking about the Apple Developer store? I dont see any other way you could get a good deal and make a profit on it.

How much are the 20GB iPods?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, its not ADC. I can sell the 867 and 1ghz Powerbooks for below ADC pricing because my friend works at Apple. The biggest discounts I can get are on systems, not accessories. 20gb iPod for $449.

4. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Prices

How much is a SP 1GHz? What about a Dual 867 Refurb?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are some other configurations:

1) 12-inch powerbook Combo + Airport Extreme Card + 3 yr. AppleCare Warranty: $1,921 brand new ($500 savings).

2) I can offer the 867mhz 15-inch powerbook for the same price as this configured 12-inch. $1,921 ($550+ savings)

3) the 1ghz 15-inch is going for $2,229, which is a phenomenal deal. ($800 savings)

4) 17-inch Powerbook for $3169 ($385 savings)

5) Power Mac G4 - 1.42ghz + Apple 17" Flat Panel + 3 yr. AppleCare: $3,153 ($776 savings) [$2787.45 without the LCD]

6) PowerMac G4 - 1.25ghz + Apple 17" Flat Panel + 3 yr. Applecare - $2,499 ($676 savings) [$2189 without the LCD]

7) PowerMac G4 - 1.0ghz + Apple 17" Flat Panel + 3 yr. Applecare - $2,292 ($344 savings)

6. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I saw this one over at Spymac, too. I'm very interested in purchasing a PowerBook, but you'll forgive me if I feel a little funny about getting it from you. I'm really not trying to be mean, but maybe you could provide us all with some references or something. Maybe a better explanation of how exactly this works. Again, I'm not trying to bust your balls. I genuinely hope this is for real, as that price is INSANE! It's just that all three of your posts on this board are in this thread. I'm sure you understand, man. Thanks! :)

7. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah no offense, but I agree. If you were a long-time regular here, then I would be more inclined to purchase from you, but you want people to purchase something off a complete stranger? And to add insult to injury, but we're not even dealing with you in person, but over the internet. Seriously, I would love to get a 12" PB for that price, but I don't want to pay you, wait for 2 weeks, wait for an extra 5 weeks, and finally realize that I just lost $1921 dollars to someone who told me that he was legit. ;)

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Your concerns are understandable, I mean NO ONE wants to lose their hard-earned money. It's pretty simple how it works, my friend offers me these packages, and I mark up the prices a bit to sell them.

That's why I said I'm willing to do an ESCROW transaction for your peace of mind.

If you don't know how escrow works, they serve as a third party to keep the transaction safe for both parties. You pay the escrow company, and they hold onto the money while I ship the computer to you. Once you recieve the computer and give the okay, the escrow company will then pay me.

That makes it totally safe. I understand how people are worried about e-bay resellers and stuff who rip people off, but that's because they do straight up money transactions or bank wires without any escrow or anything to protect them. If you are interested, contact me and we can set up an escrow transaction and you will be assured that your money is safe. Okay?

9. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Are they hot?

You sure your friend works for apple and not some theft rings? Can you gaurantee these aren't stolen machines? Would you provide serial nums before sale?

I find it hard to believe that even apple employees get those setups that cheap. Any other apple employees out there that can vouch for these prices?

Just wondering...

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, some people are hilarious. No, they're not stolen for gods sake! Yeesh, unbelievable. I understand a certain amount of skepticism, but do you really think I have connections to a secret underground Apple theft ring? Get real, that belongs on the "Crazy Apple Rumors" site. :p

Listen, this is what I'm offering, and I'm willing to go through escrow or whatever else you would like to protect your money. If you don't believe me, fine, I don't really care, just don't post to bash me.

11. macrumors 68040

Grimace

How is the 17" price you quote going to save anyone money?

The regular price is $3299.00. The ADC price is 2639.00 - you want over $3100???

12. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Also, you prices for the 12" PB don't compare. Why pay you $1921 when ADC configured the same way is $1867?

Your 15" 1GHz price is only $10 cheaper than the Apple ADC price - I would prefer to splurge $10 to buy from an actual company.

The 1.42GHz with LCD monitor is $2967 with ADC, not the $3100 price tag you are looking for.

The 1.25GHz is $92 cheaper and the 1.0Ghz is also $285 cheaper with ADC.

Thanks for the *great* deals...

Also, related to other posts regarding Ebay, if you know how to buy on Ebay, you will not be ripped off. It's customers who buy from unreliable/first time sellers who get ripped off. Do 30 seconds of research on the seller, and you'll be just fine. Check out their feedback rating. Here is an example:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=carletonmusic

13. macrumors 6502

People steal feedback profiles on EBay all the time. EBay is one shady organization.

BTW if this turns out legit, put me down for an 867 15".

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Regarding the pricing:

First of all, I'm well-aware of ADC pricing.
    1) You're not including the $99 membership fee that you have to pay. So tack on $99 to a (one-time only) ADC purchase.
    2) You still have to pay TAX, which can range from 5-11.47% depending on what state you live in. When you buy a desktop or laptop, that can be a good $300 depending on what you buy and where you live.

So IT IS a savings over ADC pricing once you include the memership fees and taxes. In addition, not everyone is eligible for ADC pricing because not everyone is a college student who does programming. Don't be so quick to flame irrationally.

15. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

MacLover has a point with the ADC prices. I don't want to throw the $99 for an ADC membership, as I don't actually write software. Moreover, that's a one time discount. Sucks to burn it right up front when these prices are here.

MacLover, just one question. How long will these prices be available. I won't be able to buy until next month when my grant comes in for the semester. Will the offers still stand?

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post wsteineker. I'm not sure how long these will be available. Some of these are limited specials (which is why some of the prices are so low), so I'm not sure if I can offer this next month, depending on the system. I would like to say that I can though, just e-mail me when you get a chance.

17. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Will do, man. I'll be in touch. In case you're wondering what convinced me, it was the escrow. Good stuff. :)

18. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Wait

Make sure the man does NOT try to use EscrowGold. Or eGold. EscrowGold is a fraud website.

Why dont you just do COD. Thats the safest way.

19. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Re: Wait

are you being sarcastic? didn't they guy who cuaght the pworbook theif use COD.

MacLover, what escrow site are you willing to use. I would like to look into the escrow service before i consider it further.

20. thread starter macrumors newbie

You can choose whatever escrow service you wish, so that you can have the peace of mind that your money is safe. You can use COD too if you want.

Personally, I've heard good things about escrow.com, but I reccomend that you shop around to find the best rate along with a reputable company.

21. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Wait

No, I am not being sarcastic. If you get paid with cash, your fine. And who would be getting jipped IF anyone? The seller, not you.

22. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Re: Re: Re: Wait

cod is not jsut cash, If rmembered correctly the guy was passing fake money orders thru a cod system. I'm jsut saying ntohing is poerfect. It is cool that you accept any escrow service.

23. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I have to say that MacLover seems to be on the up and up with all of this. I'll be in touch with him as soon as my grant check comes in, and that's a promise. :)

24. macrumors 6502

Me too, my warped-lid 12" is going back, I'll get my ADC asset back, I'll buy the 15" 867 from MacLover with my refund, and when the 15" October revision comes around I'll sell the 867 and get the Al-970 15" PowerBook at ADC price.

Perfect.

25. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

What do you mean "when the 15" October revision comes around"? Do you know something that the rest of us don't?