Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Brand new 12" PB, and this is the second time I've gotten this message.

Verifying volume “PowerBook G4”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
8 %)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
Invalid volume free block count
)
The volume PowerBook G4 needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Do I run fsck... again? This harddrive seems like it has been making some unusual noises to me.

Maybe I should repair from the discs?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
What is your drives SMART status?

The disk can still be verified and still be prone to failure. If it's a hardware error, like the drive failing, then you might have a SMART warning. The SMART status is a series of tests and statistics that are tracked on the drive it's self. Mostly read/write errors and timing. Certain sudden events are noted also. If there was a software anomaly that is causing an error, or some hardware issues, SMART won't show an error. So SMART verified won't guarantee that your drive isn't failing, but a SMART warning is a guarantee that the drive is beginning to fail.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, I'm aware of SMART status. It's verified. I'm hoping this harddrive doesn't fail already, it's brand new. Although I guess now is better than when not under warranty.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
sounds like a failing hard drive to me. I 've had 2 in the last year that went that way. the smart status of the drives were all ok until the last minute. is the drive making funny noises? does it seem there is excessive disk activity?

if i were you i would go and get a new hard drive asap. transfer everything important to an external drive and start anew.

aussie_geek

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
calebjohnston said:
Yeah, I'm aware of SMART status. It's verified. I'm hoping this harddrive doesn't fail already, it's brand new. Although I guess now is better than when not under warranty.

Yes, I wasn't trying to lecture about SMART. I always figure that what ever I know I should pass on. Mostly because I learn so much from the threads here. I also suppose that I was fending off the "SMART" dosn't work posts, which usualy end up with me explaining how SMART works and dosn't work. The WIKIpedia article is a good one.

Yea, better that the failure happen now while under warrenty. I hated changeing out my hd on my 12" PM. Bummer, post how Apple Care walks you though correcting the problem. I'd like to know how many times the ask you to reinstall the OS.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
calebjohnston said:
Maybe I should repair from the discs?

Are you running fsck from Single User Mode now?

Even if fsck doesn't repair the disk, that does not mean that the drive has failed. You may need to escalate to something more powerful, like Disk Warrior.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I booted from the OS X disc and ran disk utility with that. The disk check came back clean afterwards. We'll have to see if it stays that way. If not, what's disk warrior? I've never used it.

And... is it free :) ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.