fsck won't run

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markomarko, Nov 13, 2003.

1. markomarko macrumors member

every time I've tried it, it quits to # after printing the message "volume check failed"

I am booting in single user mode before using fsck.

can anyone help me out?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you tried booting from the installation CD, repairing the drive, then repairing permissions?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Didn't somebody mention fsck not working/needed when Journaling is turned on?

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

fsck will not run normally on a journaled volume. you have to run

Code:
    fsck -f
    to force it to run. i think it tells you this if you try to run it on a journaled volume. if not, it's in the man page.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It tells you when you boot into single user mode that you need to force it with the -f flag.

6. markomarko thread starter macrumors member

fsck is checking the catalogs and heirarchy plus some other initial steps, it just fails on the volume check. also, I'm running jag 10.2.8, and don't recall turning journalling on since installing 10.2. I'll check and get back to you.

One other thing: is it safe to run fsck -f -y?
    I ask bc. the man page cautions against using -y, although it seems from reading forums that that is the common way to run it.

thanks for the replies.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've only run it as fsck -y because I don't want to answer yes to each repair. There is a slight chance that a repair could cause a problem, but it's unlikely and I've never seen it happen but then, I've only been using UNIXes since 1993.

8. markomarko thread starter macrumors member

well, tried all the advice here and fsck will not run. this situation really sucks because since 10.2.8, anytime I use my printer I get a KP. What a piss off. I'm ready to throw this 12" rev A powerbook out the window. Least reliable machine I've had from apple yet.