Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SharkSKin-Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2003
Hi,

I'm something of a newbie to MacOSX and I've been having problems with my G4 867DP waking from sleep so I tried running fsck -y to sort out any disk problems.

It doesn't really appear to be doing much, I instantly get 3 lines of text, the last being something like "Checking HFS+ Volume" and then just get the prompt again there didn't seem to be any disk access. I left it for a while but nothing happened. How long should fsck -y take to run?

Probably a stupid question, but thanks in advance for any help.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I'm not sure about the Darwin version of fsck, but I would guess that it just read over the filesystem, saw nothing wrong, and quit. Are you using fsck on a mounted fs? It only works on unmounted ones. You could also try using Disk Utility instead. It's just a graphical frontend to fsck, but mybe it will work some kind of special magic that fsck doesn't...

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Ah so thats what im suppose to type after running fsck. thanks you. i'll remember that.
even though i usually use the installer cd so i can repair permissions too.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
If you hit open apple + "S" on boot the command is on the line above the prompt.

/sbin/fsck -y

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.