"FSU to sign deal with Apple..." SO Funny! Must read!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by t300, Sep 2, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    FSU to sign deal with Apple:
    Free iTunes software may soon be made available to students

by Erica Rodriguez
    August 26, 2004

In an effort to prevent illegal file sharing on campus, Florida State University is on the verge of finalizing a deal with Apple Computer, Inc. -- a deal that would provide free iTunes software to students and allow them to download music for 99 cents per song.

Carl Baker, the director of university computer systems at the FSU Academic Computing and Network Services Department, was appointed chair of a committee charged with finding a way to stop illegal file sharing on campus. The committee, known as the Online Music Committee, was created this spring semester and is made up of members of FSU's administration and a small group of students.

Baker said the idea originated from a concern for students who live on campus and download music illegally. He said that not only are they subject to legal action from the members of the recording industry, but also are more likely to download files with possible viruses, trojans, worms and other harmful variants that may exist in those files.

"Our experience so far has been that there are a lot of students who are using iTunes now," Baker said. "This just makes it more available for everybody else to use it. My understanding is that the quality that some of the music that people download illegally is not very good, and sometimes you don't really know what you are getting. You might be getting something that is infected with a virus."

Baker said that FSU had been receiving complaints from the recording industry for the past several years about students on campus with copyrighted material on their computers. Some of those students' connections to the Web were terminated as a result.

FSU Student Government Association Sen. Mike Salamon, who was working on writing legislation to address the same issue when he found out the University was already addressing it, said he thinks the plan is an "excellent compromise."

"I think it is a fantastic idea," Salamon said. "Obviously, music sharing is a very common part of people our age. People just do it all the time. That's a fact. And they tried banning it outright, and that doesn't seem to be working because people are finding ways around it or people are getting their computers turned off, which is not what we want. We don't want people to get kicked off the Internet entirely."

Baker said that students can expect to see the project go into effect sometime in the next month. The license agreement is currently under legal review by FSU officials and will close soon, Baker said.

The agreement with Apple Computer, Inc. is a move very similar to that already made by several other universities. Pennsylvania State University, the first university to broker such an agreement, has made a deal with Napster that allows students to download music for free, but requires a portion of their technology fee to go to Napster.

Baker said that such options were explored and that the iTunes deal seemed to be the most reasonable since FSU will not face any financial obligations to the company. Students will simply be allowed to download files for 99 cents per song. The software will be compatible with both Mac computers and PCs.

Salamon said he agrees that a fixed charge for all students may have caused protest from those who are not interested in file sharing.

The agreement comes on the heels of increased scrutiny of illegal file sharing on college campuses. The Recording Industry Association of America, in fact, held a conference call Tuesday to address the issue.

Okay, WHAT THE HECK!?
  2. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    Oh bummer, I searched wrong. It is still funny, though...no humor lost.
  3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    What's so funny about it? Stopping illegal file transfers on a campus network is very much a concern for them.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    What's funny is that there's some "special agreement." Students can already download iTunes for free and songs for 99 cents. Who needs a special agreement to do that?
  5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    I thought the same thing myself when I read this on Aug 26th :confused:
  6. Maclomaniac macrumors member

Sep 1, 2004
    Um... what's so funny is that they are acting like they are making iTunes "freely available" with $0.99 song downloads to the students through some big deal with Apple, as if their students couldn't already download iTunes for free and songs for $0.99, just like everyone else in the world who has an internet connection.
  7. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    Well, I apologize for the repost but it obviously seems that it didn't get through to a few the first time...
  8. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    They may be getting that bulk discount that was talked about a few days ago. Or some sort of other perks. Plus if they are all on the same network, they can share tunes with anyone else who allows it. As mentioned, they also get a minor reprieve from being sued by the RIAA.
  9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    Am I the only one who noticed that the "deal" theyre striking with Apple seems to be the same exact deal the students would get if they signed up on their own? iTunes is free and ITMS songs are 99 cents each. Whats the big deal?
  10. dxp4acu macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2002
    The deal is probably the music sharing. They can listen to each other's songs for free, etc. So at least someone has paid for them. Otherwise, this isnt a deal at alll!!!LL!LL!LL!L!
  11. Brian Haworth macrumors member

Apr 19, 2004
    Santa Rosa, CA, USA
    You can already do that. You can set iTunes to share music across your local network. So all a student has to do is open up iTunes and the libraries of any of the other students who have iTunes open are available for them to listen to.

There is no deal whatsoever unless there's some kind of bulk purchasing happening here.
  12. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    The article must have omitted something.

I would bet they're doing something like this:

iTunes on Campus
  13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Not a bad deal really. Free music, free lisence...I hope more Universities take up this idea.

Course I also hope that we could get an edu discount on music.

14. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    I would also venture a guess that the deal involves shipping FSU a boatload of CD's with iTunes for Windows on them.
  15. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    I didn't know you could get a virus from a MP3 file?
  16. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2002

I wish I could get iTunes for free and buy songs from the store for .99/song.

Oh wait...
  17. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    Thats only true if by "the world" you mean USA, UK, France and Germany :D
  18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Does any place else count?
    Does anything beyond the first two count? :)
  19. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    well it's not really that funny, obviously anyone can d/l it for free, but the idea is this is an agreement for FSU to USE iTunes, rather than WMP or RealPlayer as their default audio application. So Apple gives them zero discounts on music, I would bet they are selling FSU discounted Apple hardware.
  20. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
  21. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    They do, in fact, have quite a good discount program for Apple hardware at all the campus computer stores, including "education bundles".