FTP browsing in Safari.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MonsterZero, Apr 8, 2004.

1. MonsterZero macrumors member

Thsi has bugged me for a lONG time...

when i type in an ftp address with safari, i get a globe icon on my desk top, and thats a folder of that FTP site, now most sites i go to are usually just archives for live music etc, no log in/password.

But everytime i try to DL something, It wont let me ...any help ?

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

that globe icon shows that you are connected to the ftp server...
    unless i misunderstand you, you just need to double-click that globe to browse it, find the file, then drag it to wherever you want... then it will start downloading...

reality

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

OSX ftp'ing is a bit screwed. I don't think ftp from the finder lets you write yet.. and I remember once I tried to ftp in safari and it opened internet explorer :S.. XP's ftp definitely kicks OSX's ass. but anyway. if the globe comes and you can browse, it shouldn't be any different from browsing a list of files in safari..

hey realityisterror, your music list site is kinda nice. did u do that using some iTunes script? can i borrow it :D

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i've pm'd you...

reality

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no problem here. The Finder is your default FTP client. Change your default FTP client--your "problem" is solved.

However, you really amaze me. Apple added a really nifty function to the Finder. It allows you to mount an FTP server on your desktop just like any other read-only network volume. You don't even have to download files to use them. You can play .mp3 files from the FTP server.

Can this functionality be improved? Of course it can. Interarchy had it first with read/write capability to boot. If Apple were to add this functionality to the Finder, then there would be howls about Apple's competing with its developers.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Interesting...I've been using RBrowser Lite for my FTP transfers, so I'm quite new to the concept of Finder FTP workings. What application are you guys using to do FTP? How do you guys use it etc.

(Pretend I'm a newbie about Finder FTP transfers.)

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well, I don't get why Windows can have ftp writing built in...
    oh yeah, because it suck that's why everyone uses WS_FTP or CuteFTP.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Go to Go>Connect to Server... or press [Apple]-K. Type in the address of the ftp server. The server mounts on your desktop. Like I said in a previous post, you don't actually have to download anything. For instance, a PowerPoint presentation on the FTP site can be opened by PowerPoint by simply double-clicking on the file. However, you don't have write privileges to the site through the Finder.