Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
My nephew is in Italy, and I offered him space on my server to store his photos, as he did not bring his laptop with him...what's a free, easy Window FTP client - or can someone give me instructions on how to do it in Windows (so a 19-year old can understand it).

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
in internet explorer...

ftp:<server>

it will then ask for username and password...

OR

ftp://<username>:<password>@<server>

however some FTP server do not allow IE, and must be enabled before it can be used.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
wako said:
in internet explorer...

ftp:<server>

it will then ask for username and password...

OR

ftp://<username>:<password>@<server>

however some FTP server do not allow IE, and must be enabled before it can be used.

Thanks - I gave him a link to a free FTP Client, and if that fails, I'll use this.

I appreciate it - thanks much.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
It's old and hasn't been updated in years, but I still use LeechFTP as my FTP client. It's simple, small, and does everything I need.

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
I use smartftp. It's free and really easy to use. A quick google search will turn itu p.

rob5

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2003
Connecticut
iGary said:
My nephew is in Italy, and I offered him space on my server to store his photos, as he did not bring his laptop with him...what's a free, easy Window FTP client - or can someone give me instructions on how to do it in Windows (so a 19-year old can understand it).
FileZilla is free and one of the best one's I've used. Beats some of the ones you have to pay for IMO.

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Filezilla

FileZilla all the way, by far the best "free" FTP browser out there...

I agree. Its very fast and also has good support for sftp. I've used a couple including ws_ftp and Filezilla is very nice. Good drag and drop and has multiple threading available as well as re-start capability and auto re-connect features.

Can't ask for anything more...

Mike...

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Mojo67821 said:
I use smartftp. It's free and really easy to use. A quick google search will turn itu p.

I third this.

Free, never had any problems, and it works great.

My true love is Transmit, but..*sniff*..can't ask for too much on Windows.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
FileZilla has an ugly, cluttered interface, but it's still my first choice on Windows. Windows also has an ugly, cluttered interface, so it fits right in.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
All good stuff, folks - thanks.

I gave him all the info, but nothing back yet. He's a bit technologically challenged. but hopefully he can get it set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.