FTP Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walkingmac, Dec 20, 2004.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

OK, I am a fan of using the Finder for browsing FTP sites for work and such. Now, one of my new clients' sites is acting dumb. When I access it in the finder some folders (including the one where the actual site is located) is not there. When I use a FTP app (CyberDuck) the folders are right where they should be. Anyone got any idea as to why this is happening?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Finder might be hiding the folders because you don't have authorization to use them - that's the only thing I can think of.

3. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

OK... weird. Random thought after I posted the initial post for how to work around this. Typing in the folder name I was needing after the address. It worked. OK, great, but can someone explain why this is the case?

4. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Ya... ur right. I looked at the info on that folder in CyberDuck and 'others' weren't checked. But why this even though I used the highest authorization codes?

5. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

OK, sadly, this only allows me view, but not edit or copy.... thoughts?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The administrator didn't give you write permissions to those folders, probably - either that or the permissions/user accounts on the FTP server are messed up.

7. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I would think that too... except when I use the same pass/user in CyberDuck all is the way it should be. I have complete access to view, copy, and change files in that app and have to do stuff I shouldn't have to do in the Finder with the same (highest level) pass/user. Any more thoughts on this? I would really love to get this right in the Finder.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Were you aware that the Finder FTP browser does NOT support writing - only reading? Maybe that's your issue.

9. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

See that don't make sense as I have been using the Finder for loading sites and files right along.