FTP help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eeeRIE, Sep 10, 2005.

1. eeeRIE macrumors member

Jan 30, 2005
    I'm not familiar at all with creating ftp servers, but I needed to do it anyway so I got the program ftp-config and started trying to set up a server. From what I've done the server is now running and it looks like it should work, but I don't know how to allow people to log on.

Under users it says:

Name: Account
    Fullname: Account
    chroot: 1
    UID: 502
    GID: 502
    Password: tlB2rrMXKp7Bs (I set the password as "account", but this is what it says"
    Homedir: Users/Shared/./

So if I want someone to be able to login to this ftp, would they just enter the IP, username "Account", and password "Account"? Or is there something I'm missing here?
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yes, I think that they just FTP to the IP address or DN of that Mac.

You will also need to open the FTP port in the OS X firewall (port 21) in system preferences. If they're upstream of your router, then you will also need to map ports on its firewall so that your Mac gets the ftp requests.

But in the meantime, to see if the server itself is working, the easiest thing to do is to open a new terminal window and type in "ftp localhost" -- this will let you try to log into the ftp server from your own computer, so that I think, firewall issues will not arise. It seems as if the user "Account" has been assigned an automatically generated strong password in place of the one you supplied, but I'm not sure about that part. It could also just be encrypted in the ftp server setup file you're viewing. Try both the password you entered and the password generated in the list.