FTP in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Craigy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

Hi Sometimes I need to FTP from a Mac with no FTP software installed. I am used to doing this through IE on winodes and tried doing the same with Safari.

Logged in and it mounted the FTP drive in the finder - browsed and download fine. When I try to drag a file and write I get the "ftp.xxxxx.xx cannot be modified" error. Same log in as IE / Dreamwaver etc with no problems. Any ideas?

2. garybUK Guest

garybUK

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can also use the command-line FTP program in the Terminal...that's what I use for FTP write access. In a Terminal window, type "man ftp" (without the quotes) to learn more about the ftp command.

4. debo macrumors regular

I agree. Use Transmit. Much better than cyberduck.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is a well-known fact that the Finder's FTP Desktop mounting feature does not allow uploading. You can, however, use Interarchy, Fetch, NetFinder, or any of the FTP clients mentioned above by others.

6. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Fetch

I recommend Fetch. It nice and simple and works well. BTW, if you happen to be in education or Not-For-Profit, you can qualify to download it for free if I recall correctly. (Otherwise the $25 USD is not bad either if it something you are going to use alot)

7. debo macrumors regular

Interarchy is great too, I forgot about it. But it cost money.

8. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Kudos to the forum for its smiley parsing. Nothing like a laughing assword.

I've used Fetch and Transmit. Both were easy to use for me and I rarely ftp to things.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

10. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Big fan been using it for a long while now!! :)

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

OS X already has an FTP client: Terminal

Really, it's not that hard using the Terminal... :rolleyes:

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Funny, not sure how you can get a directory and all the files/directories inside it without a shell script :rolleyes: . The GUIed clients are just easier to use.

13. Crikey macrumors 6502

For grabbing folders full of files over a secure connection, check out "man scp".

Cheers,

Michael

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

After starting the ftp command, type help at the ftp prompt to get a list of commands supported by the ftp command. Surely one of those will give you what you want.

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The point was that musicpyrites response was implying that the command line ftp program is all you need, I simply pointed out a known limitation. SCP is nice, but has nothing to do with FTP on a non-secure connection. mget is the closet you will get, but it will not traverse directories, it will only get all the files in a directory.

16. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

17. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I found an Applescript that will ftp a file (or possibly a folder of files) to a particular site. I will see if I can find it again. I haven't had much chance to play with it, but it sounds pretty nice if you need to upload to the same place a lot. Just drag and drop. Then you can use Finder to view the ftp site and download. If you use a lot of ftp stuff though, I reccomend Transmit. Very nice program.