FTP Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VladDracul, Jul 22, 2003.

1. VladDracul macrumors member

Jun 25, 2003
    South Beach

I'm new to the Mac World. I only bought my PB last week so I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things.

Just about the only huge problem I've found with Mac OS X so far is the following:

I connect to an FTP Server via the "Go/Connect To" option. Once the connection icon shows up on my desktop, I open a Finder window and start browsing the remote files. If at that point something goes wrong with the connection to the FTP Server I get the beach ball and it is impossible to get rid of it. If I try to wait it out, it never goes away. If I try to logout or shutdown, the system hangs indefinetly and my only option is to reboot by holding down the power button for 4 seconds.

I'm doing a lot of file sharing with a very unstable FTP server so I've had to reboot this way four times already. This to me seems a terrible problem and can't believe they haven't managed to fix it.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a known problem? Does it only happen with FTP connections?

Thanks for your help.
  2. daytona63 macrumors member

Feb 11, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    FTP problems

Unfortunately, Apple didn't do the best job building FTP access into the Finder. If I were you, I'd either do your FTPing from the terminal, or use a program like Fetch, Fugu, or something like that. There are a ton of such programs, some free and some not, at versiontracker.com . Supposedly, using FTP from the Finder in 10.3 will be a lot better.
  3. nodmonkey macrumors member

Feb 3, 2003
    Hampshire, UK
    my solution...

yep, Apple really made a mistake even allowing the cruddy FTP it has installed at the moment to be used before it works without hanging the whole system.

I have found that the best FREE FTP program available for Mac OS X is the rather ugly RBrowserLite. It does the job, though isn't tidy.

The BEST pay-for FTP program is Transmit 2. Very sweet.

Always search on Version Tracker for your utilities!