FTP locked out after installing security updates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arogge, Oct 5, 2004.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I installed Security Update 2004-09-07, Security Update 2004-09-16, and Security Update 2004-09-30. After rebooting for the third time, OS X (10.3.5) FTP services became inaccessible. Clients are receiving error 530, <User> cannot use FTP.

Apple says that I got a bad update file from the local patches server, and wants me to install Security Update 2004-09-07 v.1.1 from Apple's support site.

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

it could be the firewall, after a recent update my internet sharing stopped working, I eventualy worked out that is was the firewall on the g4 that was blocking the sharing the internet. I had to add port 80 to the allow list.

3. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!

Very ture a firewall could be the cause... I would turn all but the main things you need to get online... And see what happens...

4. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I read that several people ran into this. I'm not doing any FTP sharing, so I didn't experience it firsthand. Why wouldn't you go with Apple's recommendation?

5. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

Apparently, Apple tried a Microsoft-style update to improve security by removing a function. That patch was downloaded to the patches server, and no notice from Apple was received about the patch being bad. I was told to install the updates during scheduled downtime, and clients were hit with the error message when they tried to log in again. Then I tried logging in locally, and got the same error message. I got the new patch and installed it; an hour of additional downtime later, all clients were able to use FTP services on the Mac again.