FTP newbie needs setup help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jrv3034, Dec 19, 2004.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Hello, all. I'm trying to set up my PowerMac as an FTP server to share files with someone in Florida (I'm in NY,) and I can't get this to work right.

I'm turning on FTP Access in the System Preferences "Sharing" panel, and it says the following:

Other people can access your FTP server at ftp://xxx.xxx.x.x/ or browse for "xxx xxx’s Computer" by choosing Network from the Go menu in the Finder.

(I changed the names and numbers in this post into Xs for security, of course)

So, yeah. Theoretically, anyone that visits ftp://xxx.xxx.x.x/ should get access to my computer's public folder, right? Well, for some reason it doesn't work.

I should mention that there is a wireless router connected to the cable modem, for my wife's notebook. I'm assuming this has something to do with the FTP address not being accessible somehow, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You will need to configure port forwarding on the router to direct requests to TCP/IP port 21 to the IP address of your Mac.

This will make requests to your WAN IP address, say ftp://80.195.248.32 direct to your Mac on your LAN, ftp://10.0.0.2 or whatever.

3. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, edesignuk. OK, I did that. Now, um, feel free to call me stupid, but where do I find my WAN IP address? On the Netgear setup page there's a billion numbers...

There's MAC addresses, IP addresses, DHCP, IP Subnet Mask, Domain Name Server... and that's just under the Internet Port section of the page, there's also the LAN Port section... HELP!

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

On the router config page it should say somewhere:

IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Default Gateway

It shouldn't be too hard to miss.

5. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok,there's a section called Internet IP Address, but underneath it there's a check box next to:
    "Get Dynamically From ISP"

I tried checking the one that says "Use static IP address", but it tells me I have to put one in provided by my ISP, and it reverts to the "Get Dynamically From ISP".

Hmm. Do I have to call Earthlink? Or am I missing something?

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't change to manual static config! Best bet is to do as solaris has sugested.

7. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK. I have the IP address (thanks Solaris for that link), but whenever I type the address into Safari on my wife's PowerBook, it says:

Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (Error code -41).

Any ideas? Do I need to turn on "Personal File Sharing" in System Preferences, in addition to FTP Access?

BTW, thanks again edesign and Solaris for your time.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

And what happens if you use your internal LAN IP address? Same error?

9. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, it asked me my name and password (after about a minute of "connecting to ftp://blahblah"), and after I put it in it says:

Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct.

But I know the name and passsword are correct. Or do I need the name and password of the Wireless Router?

10. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's some screenshots that might help us figure this out.

Attached Files:

11. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's some more.

Attached Files:

12. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what happens when I put the IP address on the "LAN IP Setup".

Attached Files: