FTP server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AliensAreFuzzy, Oct 9, 2004.

1. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I want to use my Mac as an FTP server. But I'm not quite sure how to do it. so I was wondering... 1)What do I need to do/have to have it work as an FTP and 2) How would I go about doing it?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not at my mac right now, but lets see if I can help.

Go into preference then sharing. Turn on ftp. Now you will be able to ftp into your box by the ip address. Your name and password will be any of your accounts. You can go to no-ip.com and get a free dynamic dns so you don't have to use your ip address. If you have a router there will be some more steps. Let me know if you need more help.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

From PM
    This varies from router to router, but I'll give it a try. You probably have two options:

1. Quick and dirty
    You can turn on the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone). Just enable the DMZ and enter the IP address of the computer you have the ftp server on. This is the easiest method, but like I said its dirty. All outside traffic received by the router that does not have a specific computer to go to will be routed to this computer. Nice because you don't have any exta router steps if you want your computer to act as a web server, ssh server, or any other server. But...being the computer is exposed to the internet, you loose the firewall protection of the router. Any hacks directed at the router will be forwarded to your computer. Even though you are using a Mac, rather than a pc, I can't recomend this.

2. Virtual Servers, Port Forwarding, (Perfered Method)
    In your router configeration you should have an option such as Virtual Servers, Port Forwarding, or something else (many manufactures have their own name for it). Start filling in the feilds:
    Name: ftp (or what ever you want to refer to it as, doesn't really matter)
    Private IP: The Ip address of you computer with ftp, not the ip of the router
    Protocol: TCP (I'm pretty sure its TCP, not UDP. UDP seems silly for FTP)
    Private Port: 21 (assuming you are using the default port)
    Public Port: 21 (assuming you want to ftp into the defalut port)
    You may have a schedule. Select always or whatever you want.
    Make sure its enabled and save.

If you have an airport, you may need to get more router-specific directions. Let me know if you don't understand anything.

Not to sound like a billboard, but you may want to check out no-ip. You can get a DNS forward so you don't have to enter in your ip address everytime you want to ftp into your server. I'm sure there are other services, but this is the one I've always delt with.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd definitely support option #2 vs. putting my Mac into the DMZ.

I also use a free application called IPMenu that e-mails me if my IP address changes. This is handy for those dynamic IP addresses most ISPs give you. Not sure how no-ip.com deals with that...

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No-ip has a great program that you can download to set and reset your ip address. It checks to see if your ip has changed (you set how often). If it has, it logs into no-ip and updates it for you. It uses little memory too.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040