FTP SSL client for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bartvl, Jun 14, 2006.

1. bartvl macrumors newbie

Is it just me or is there really no client on OS X that uses SSL instead of TLS?:confused: I just purchased a 70USD ftp client (CuteFTP Pro for Mac) and it seems like it is not even able to connect to windows ftp servers using ioftpd with SSL. I also tried captain ftp but same problem: both only connect using TLS. Any recommendations perhaps?

2. bartvl thread starter macrumors newbie

CuteFTP pro and CaptainFTP also say they use SSL/TLS but in fact they only use TLS and no SSL at all.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

FWIW:

Here's a protocol selection from Transmit:

Attached Files:

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I use Transmit and works fine with Implicit SSL FTP sites. Never had any problems.

5. bartvl thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. I'll try to get a refund for CuteFTP since I think it's quite dubious when they say they support SSL/TLS while in fact it's only TLS. Too bad transmit doesn't FXP but that's ok...

6. bartvl thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently there's more to it. I tried a trial version of transmit but I can't connect using implicit SSL. I'm getting an error like this when connecting to ioftpd running SSL:

error:140770FC:SSL
    routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

so TLS/SSL(which is basically just TLS) doesn't work to ioftpd and implicit SSL doesn't work either. Is there another kind of SSL ftp connection that I'm missing here?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Perhaps the FTP server is running a newer or more outdated version of SSL that won'tplay with Transmit? I'd contact their support for help on whether SSL is fully functional in the non-pay version before going any further.

8. bartvl thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I could see the trial version only has a time limit. I can actually select the implicit SSL option from the dropdown box and startup the connection. If the problem were a more recent or older version of the SSL engine then I think a lot of people would have problems.(i can't imagine it would be unable to connect to an FTP server because it was running an older SSL engine version)
    I have sent an email to transmit to verify though...never know for sure.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry I don't know much about FTPing thru secure socket layers. Apparently there's no FTP server on the remote end?

Frankly I see this question from time to time and most of the time it ends up i the same place. Nothing for the Mac.

10. bartvl thread starter macrumors newbie

There is an FTP server on the remote end, I can connect to it fine from windows using FlashFXP.

Yes, it's sad it is not available on Mac while it is widely available on Windows. At least I got a refund from CuteFTP.