Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
I'm trying to upload a .html to a server and it keeps timing out. I'm using FTP Classic and Filezilla. They both do the same thing. I've disabled the timeout feather in Filezilla and have also disabled the firewall on my computer. I'm using 'passive FTP'. I have no idea what do next??? Please help if you can.. this is very, very frustrating...

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Any hints as to how to get info on this issue? At this point, maintaining my website from home looks impossible. I really need to some help on this. None of the searches have come up with a solution......

Might it be that there is nothing I can do about it if it is an internet speed issue???

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
A screenshot would be helpful. Not much info to go on here.

Could you try to FTP from the command line?

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Here is an example of what I'm getting:

07:14:20 Queuing file: /Users/scottroush/Desktop/BigRockTrad/bigrockforge/knives.html
07:15:21 Accepted data connection
07:15:21 Changing directory...
07:15:21 Unable to change to the directory.
07:15:21 Unable to change to the directory "/". Please check if you have permission on the directory.
07:15:21 Upload complete
07:15:21 Unable to change to the directory.
07:15:21 The server has timed out the connection.

I'm not sure what the 'command line' is?
Thanks for responding...

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
FTP classic is fairly straightforward to use, I've never used filezilla.

With ftp classic, going into Tools->Site Manager. Click on your site and Site Properties. Make sure things are filled in properly. Your ftp server should just be your url, no http:// or ftp:// in front. Put the username and password your isp gave you into the appropriate fields. Click Test FTP Settings to see if it works.

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
I'm sorry I'm not being clear. I have everything filled in properly and I connect fine. Everything transfers except for one file... a .html. It is slightly bigger than other files.. so I'm not sure if that is the issue or not.

The same issue occurs whether I'm using Filezilla, Classic FTP... does not matter. That file times out.. and the text I provided is what is logged when it happens....

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
It looks like you're trying to write to a directory called "/". That's the root directory for the whole system. If other files are going properly then I can't explain what's happening.

Try this for a work around:
Open up Applications->Utilities->Terminal

in the window that pops up, type the following lines:
cd /Users/scottroush/Desktop/BigRockTrad/bigrockforge
ftp http://www.bigrockforge.com

Now input your the username and password you use to access your website

Now type:
put knives.html

If you have a problem at this point, type:
dir knives.html
and post the output.

If there are any problems, post everything you did and everything the computer spat back at you.

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
okay.. sorry for the delay on this:

Here is what I'm getting:

ftp> put knives.html
local: knives.html remote: knives.html
ftp: Can't open `knives.html': No such file or directory
ftp> dir knives.html
227 Entering Passive Mode (72,167,232,146,195,209)
150 Accepted data connection
-rw----r-- 1 7328985 450 20869 Jun 18 03:19 knives.html
226-Options: -a -l
226 1 matches total

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
I don't understand why it's saying there is no such directory??? The file is there.

Can somebody please help me with this.. or suggest another avenue for support?

The file is only 25kb.... I have jpgs that are far larger that go over just fine... but it goes into the queue, starts to transfer.. enough goes over into the remote server to screw things up then it times out. I end up with a partial file that has replaced the original...

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
You need to run the FTP command from the directory where the knives.html file resides on your local machine.

Make sure you type the command
Before the FTP command.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
As a sanity check, type the following commands in the terminal window and post the results:
ls -l knives.html

Post the output of the ls -l command

BTW, it looks like you tried to message me. Somehow it got blocked and lost.

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
I did that before.. I must have been typing something wrong.

okay here is the output from attempting to FTP knives.html:

ftp> put knives.html
local: knives.html remote: knives.html
227 Entering Passive Mode (72,167,232,146,195,241)
150 Accepted data connection
100% |***********************************| 21022 64.05 MiB/s 00:00 ETA

421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed.
21022 bytes sent in 01:00 (0.34 KiB/s)

This is confusing because I actually succeeded in transferring the file yesterday. However.. the only change I made was some text info. This time I had to change one of the images.

I will also try the other thing you mention.. here is the output:

-rw-r--r-- 1 scottroush 501 21022 Jun 27 05:03 knives.html

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Your local file is 21022 bytes, and you transferred 21022 bytes. It looks like your file was transferred successfully, but then there was an error. Does your website look like the proper file is in place?

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
switch from passive to "default" on your transfer settings. I had this same problem a few weeks back, and that simple change allowed me to connect and not timeout.

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
No.. the file isn't going over. Only about 1/4 of it transfers. The page is only partially there when I go to the website.

In Filezilla I was able to change from Passive to Active.. but so far no difference.

In Classic FTP I don't see the option.

Thanks for trying to help .... I appreciate it. I just don't know what do from here though....

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
not sure what the terminal command is, but in Filezilla, if you click on the site manager, then you click on Transfer settings, you can set the transfer mode to Default there.

Again, not sure if it will work for you, but it solved my issue which sounds like it was the same as what you are experiencing.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
I noticed the knives.html on your website was
7328985 bytes
The knives.html file you put there is
21022 bytes.

There seems to be a rather large discrepancy in size between these two. It's possible there is something wrong with your local file, it looks to be a lot smaller than the one on the website. Then if you were to successfully put it on your site it might look like it had gotten truncated.

mossanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Just looked at Filezilla Site Manager and it's already set to default. So I'm switching to passive to see if that makes a difference.

As to my knives.html.. it is 25kb on my computer. Looking at my backup file.. it is also around that... and that one has not been touched.

Also.. if I email that file to my web guy, he can upload it just fine.

I'm starting to wonder if I also need to be transferring some of the other .html support files??

I wonder if your seeing the combination of the knives.html and the three knives_bu.html files?? If that makes sense....

I will look into it....

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
I misread the size of the file on your website. It is about the same size as the file you're trying to upload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.