FTP to xbox on a Mac? (installing evolution x)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nolem, Jan 9, 2004.

1. nolem macrumors member

Is it possible to FTP to a xbox using a mac. I have a modded xbox and working boot disc of evolution x. Has anyone done this, or is it even possible to install evox with a mac? what about through virtual p.c.?

Thanks

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

If the xBox supports a standard FTP, then it shouldn't matter what platform you use. Also everything that I have done network related on Virtual PC has worked great, so if the Mac is a problem, VPC works well. (Like programs that find unconfigured HP jet directs, or routers, work great for me in VPC.)

The ftp command in terminal does all I need, but I am an old PC then UNIX user. :D I am sure there are some good graphical FTP clients for Mac.

3. nolem thread starter macrumors member

do you know the terminal command?

I am running panther and have tried 'command-k' then ftp://ip but it wouldn't connect.

Thanks

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i do it all the time, ftp is a standard i just filled my 80gb hard drive recentyl and its time to start deleting stuff.

5. nolem thread starter macrumors member

do you have any ideas why it won't work with me? I bet its something to do with the gateway or subnet.
    p.s. I am using a crossover cable to link directly to my xbox, is that how you did it?

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah i just did it a few minutes ago. I think i know what the problem is . First of all assign your xbox a static IP like 192.168.0.10

then go on your mac and assign your macs ip address to get 192.168.0.2

You are probably having IP issues

7. nolem thread starter macrumors member

8. nolem thread starter macrumors member

darn, its still not connecting. I dled fetch to use but nothing changed.
    I have made a location specificlly to FT to the xbox. But what Kwyjibo said did not make sense to me. I can do the steps but evox will not save them, if I exit the menu then go back into it, the numbers are all back to defaults. So how do you save your settings in evox?
    If there is some online tutorial anyone knows of that would be great.
    Thanks

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If you've got your firewall running, try turning it off. When FTP is not run in passive mode it ends up using a whole bunch of somewhat random ports. I don't know if the finder ftp runs in passive mode or not.

Rather than keep up what you're currently doing, instead open up your terminal and use command line ftp for debugging - it's going to be a lot more useful in terms of helping you solve the problem.

10. nolem thread starter macrumors member

11. nolem thread starter macrumors member

and also how do i actually save the network settings in evox when running it off the boot cd?

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If you mean from the command line (i.e., in Terminal.app):

ftp ip_address_or_name (that's a space inbetween "ftp" and the rest)

Does the xbox mod run anonymous ftp? If so, when asked for the user type "anonymous" and for the password some made-up e-mail address. I don't really know how the xbox end of this works. :D

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

you can save the settings that are on the boot cd
    you need to copy the proper files to the xb hard drive ( or you can edit the evox.ini file before oyu put it there) and then edit the files on the hard drive

or edit the evox.ini b4 u burn the cd (or reburn it)

sounds confusing but just rekeep in min
    that all the setting you can fiddle with aer in evox.ini and you can edit that on your computer or once you've booted from the hard drive

14. nolem thread starter macrumors member

did you guys have to go through all of this when installing evox?