FTP to xbox

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by native00, Nov 3, 2004.

1. native00 macrumors regular

native00

I am about as newbie as it gets to networking, but I am interested in networking my G4/PB with my modified XBox. There is an xbox forum that discusses these issues, but these people know dick about macs. I must connect my xbox to my home network, using an FTP client. I have found several on versiontracker, but don't know which is easy to use, or even if I can network with the xbox (a windows machine). Any ideas people?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Transmit is a great OS X FTP client. FTP is a universal protocol, there's no reason what-so-ever why you shouldn't be able to FTP to your xbox with this app (or any other) from OS X.

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Does the Xbox have an ftp server, or if not, how do you install one? (I'm curious, I have one but haven't networked it yet.)

If you're comfortable with the command line, you can ftp from the Terminal, otherwise, there are several shareware options. Fetch and Transmit are two common apps. You can also use the Finder, but only to ftp from the Xbox, not to send files to it.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You can FTP to it if it is a chipped 'box whooleytoo.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Thanks guys. My Xbox was getting sick of doing nothing but kicking my ass in Halo. ;)

7. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

i would second transmit for ftping to xbox, that's what i use for mine. After trying both fetch and transmit, I like Transmit's column views. On setting up the xbox for FTP, it's so easy and probably already done if you have a decent dashboard. I use Evox but Avalaunch also has one, as well as XBMC. Just find out what the Xbox's IP is, you can find it by going into the settings on your dash board or by looking at your router's DHCP table. the password and username are both by default, "xbox".

8. native00 thread starter macrumors regular

native00

You people have been extremely helpful, I knew I could depend on some expertise here. I just recently got it modified, so I will check which dashboard is on it, and I will look into using transmit. Obviously, i am trying to send files to my xbox (I also added a 160 gid hdd to it!). So my next question is...can I send pc files to the xbox, even though my PB can't 'use' them?