FTP, Web Server?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daveway, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I recently got hold of .5tb of disk storage and its all hooked up to my iMac. I want to use it as an FTP server for me/friends/family to log into remotely. How do i set all the drives to become servers? Also, i'm thinking about hosting a website on it as well because i'm making one right now.
    How does all of this work? Sorry i'm new to it.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well first, you have to have a decent broadband ISP connection with a static IP address. Most household cable / DSL accounts are dynamic IP address, so it will change your IP number on you from time to time. Also some accounts specifically forbid you from running a public server. Check your particular situation.

You can get around the dynamic DNS thing by signing up with a Dynamic-DNS Routing service, where you have a domain name, and the service "chases" your account and updates the IP in their routing to whatever your current IP is.

OS X comes with web-server and FTP server software, you will need to learn to configure it: Google for many resources.

BUT: You put .5 terabyte of goodies online, you're going to get swamped by friends downloading whatever, hacked by robots, idiots and scoundrels, then booted offline by your ISP for exceeding account limits -- or charged $$$ for bandwidth overages.

Why bother, when you probably get some web space for free with your ISP's account, or you can buy space for $5 to $15 per month from someone who will maintain the software, the hardware and the connection?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree w/ the above poster.

but if you really want to host stuff yourself, i'll add that to turn that stuff on, go into System Preferences / Sharing. click Personal Web Sharing to start apache and FTP Access to start the ftp server.

also -- you're probably going to want to buy a domain name to make it easier to find your machine. and you'll need DNS to associate that name, or those names, to your static IP.

i use zoneedit.com for one of my domains. it's free DNS and it works well.

btw, the cost of a static IP is more than you'll pay for hosting services.

4. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

How do you actually launch a website after you have made it. Do have to get a service?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, your site needs to be hosted on a webserver that is reachable from the internet. what we're talking about is whether your imac is going to be that server, or if you're going to pay someone to host your site on their server.

6. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Well....what would I do for choice A. and what would I do for choice B.

I have a couple made already for me and some others. Thay just need to be uploaded.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Daveway, the questions you are asking will take pages and pages of tutorial to explain. Please, get thee to a library or bookstore and read up on website fundamentals, plus OSX tutorials that cover webserving from your Mac.

Alternatively, Google for many excellent Web theory totorials on the Web.

There are many, many bases you need to cover before throwing the switch on your new website, including software setup, domains, the above-mentioned issues with your ISP and dynamic IPs, and not least, security provisions where you are proposing to invite the world into your Mac.

I don't think we can handle that through this forum (IMO only).

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com