ftp?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Nermal, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This has got nothing to do with Apple, but I'm just curious.

One of the Microsoft software licences I have contains the following line:

What is this "ftp" format? The only ftp I know of is the File Transfer Protocol, which is just that - a protocol, not a file format. Or is this just MS not knowing what they're talking about? :rolleyes:

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm inclined to agree with your second assessment. EULA's can have all kinds of odd working in them - some off-the-wall and strange and some misinformed. Since things like this sometimes get handed off to a legal team, it's not a surprise that they'd botch a tech detail or two.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's the legal team and technical people not understanding each other. It's almost as bad as getting the marketing people involved.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was once in the situation where I was asked to write a white paper on the technologies used in an client-server insurance selling tool for a top 5 insurance company. The salesperson allowed the VP of IT at the client to see an early copy of it. The VP made comments that showed that he had been accessing his technology dictionary once too often without knowing that his combinations weren't logical. I'm sure he took his contribution very seriously, but I'm afraid that he was the only one. ;)

(That was my first productive use of a Macintosh!)