Fuji 4700 has died, now need a new camera, but which one?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Aug 4, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hi All,

I’ve just come back from being on holiday (man, I missed these forums ;)), whilst away my parents Fuji 4700 Zoom digital camera has given up the ghost :(, so, we are now looking at getting a new digital camera.
    Do you guys have any recommendations? We are looking at spending around £500 and of course the camera needs to be available in the UK.
    So far I’ve been looking at the Sony DSCS85 & the Fuji F601.

Thanks in advance.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Damn. That's too bad, man.

But you said you went on a vacation, so you probably gave the camera too much of a workout. :p

I recommed the Nikon Coolpix models. (Yes, I remembered this time, Nikon, not Nixon.) Not many cameras come close to the Coolpix. My father had the 990 and at works extremely well. Plus, they're iPhoto compatible. :rolleyes:

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I wouldn't buy anything but Olympus. However, others would also be wise to look at Nikon and Canon. The rest aren't worth it to me for excellent work, but I am extra picky, having worked with some professional equipment.

4. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i have to put a plug in for my favorite camera on the planet... the canon s200 (or even it's brothers the s100, s110, or s300/s330)

these cameras are simply amazing... very small package and excellent image quality all for a fairly decent price of $350 or less

i love using mine... there are so many pics i can take that i wouldn't have the chance to if the camera was larger... i've gotten some incredibly pics of friends when they least expect it ;)

let us know what you get

5. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I'd recommend getting a camera with a fast processor so you can take quick shots. Get at least 3 megapixal.

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I second Kishba's remark. I was shopping for a digital camera a few weeks ago - I wanted something in the 3-4 megapixel range but didn't want to spend any more than $450. A few great options in this price range or a little higher are:

- Nikon Coolpix 995, ~$500, 3.3mpix, terrific camera - or get the 990 used for less
    - Nikon Coolpix 885, a slightly pared down version of the 995 which costs less
    - Olympus C-3020, ~$400, 3.3mpix, excellent all around; there are also other Olympus models in this price range or slightly higher that you should look into
    - Canon G1, 3.3mpix, and A40, 4mpix, terrific cameras
    - Minolta DiMAGE S304 & S404, 3.3 & 4mpix respectively, great lenses but poor battery life
    - Minolta DiMAGE 5, 3.3mpix, looks a lot more expensive than it is with an SLR-like form factor, awesome lens but poor battery life
    - Some higher-end models are the Minolta DiMAGE 7 (5mpix), Canon G2 (4mpix), and Nikon Coolpix 5000 (5mpix). The cheapest of those has a street price around $600.

There's a new 4mpix Nikon model in between the 3mpix 995 and the 5mpix 3000, called I think the 2500? It's a little more expensive than the 995.

Nikons, Canons, and Minoltas use CompactFlash. Olympuses and Fujis use SmartMedia. Some Sonys use Memory Sticks whereas others use mini CD-Rs. The Sonys get good reviews, but I didn't look into them because I didn't want to lock myself into proprietary memory cards. I didn't look into the Fujis because... I guess I just forgot. :)

Canon cameras are great and high quality, but more expensive than the competition feature-for-feature. The G2 for example is like $200 more expensive than the DiMAGE S404 which is almost as good.

As I said, I wanted a 3-4 megapixel camera, and I was all set to buy a used Minolta S404, but I decided to buy a Canon S200 (Digital Elph in the USA / Digital IXUS in Europe) instead. The size sold me. It's about as thick as 1 3/4 deck of cards and barely wider/taller than a credit card. I can put it in my pocket or tie the wrist strap around my belt and I have it with me wherever I go so I never miss a picture. The downsides of it are that it's only 2 megapixels, it uses a proprietary 840mAH battery that costs $50 (although the camera does come with one and a charger), and it lacks some of the features of the more expensive cameras. It's got a good lens, but only 2X zoom. If you need 3X zoom you can buy the S330 instead, but that camera is slightly larger. Adorama sells the S200 for $319. As soon as Canon comes out with a 3 megapixel version, I'll probably sell my S200 and buy it.

Alex

7. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i figure that i'll either get a canon g2 for my professional crave in a year or so... the s200 just doesn't cut it for that as you mentioned

i always leave room for the possibility for an apple-branded camera though... but that's wishful thinking

i might also consider waiting for a canon 4megapixel elph... i just love the portability

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I'd better get shopping! :D

9. resm macrumors 6502

new digital camera

verbose101....

before you go out and buy a new digital camera you have to ask yourself what it is you need or want.
    If you just want a so called "point and shoot" camera, easy to handle but not to sophysticated and also not to expensive then the market is full of this type of cameras and the best thing is to go on the net and get the specifications you are looking for and then go to a shop who spends enough time with their customers to explain the different models and let you get the "feeling" of the different models.
    You will be surprised how important the "feeling" becomes when using a camera over longer time.
    If you intend to make digital photography a serious hobby then you should go for the best, although not necessarly a "Pro" camera but a "Prosumer" camera that is just one step before the "Pro's" but considerably cheaper, yet still with the necessary functions and power to give the best possible pictures.
    First thing I would recommend is to go to one of the sites that gives you all the oppinions (and reviews) from present users of such cameras and then when your head almost blows up because of all the different views and reasons you may have a bit of usefull infos about the newest models in the market today.
    following site is the best for that :

http://dpreview.com/ (go to Forums)

there you find forums for all the most popular brands and models and you are welcome to ask even the most stupid questions.

here you can see what a digital camera today is able to do. 2.7 million pictures to look at :)

http://www.pbase.com/ (go to galleries)

I had (have) myself a Fuji 4900 zoom for almost 2 years now and I must say this is a fantastic camera, good for "point and shoot" very good for low light pictures (without flash) and with a very good zoom lens (6 x)
    I never had any problems with this camera and the picture quality is fantastic.
    But this is already an older model but still I would recommend it if you can get it for a good prize.

I bought myself just recently a Fuji S602 zoom which is a "Prosumer" camera and also has a 6x zoom lens (actually its an upgrade from the 6900 zoom)
    A bit more difficult to handle then the 4900 but with more functions and power and when you hit it right, the pics are fantastic both on the screen and especially on print.
    This camera has 2 slots for 3 media...smart/CF and micro drive so your smart cards can still be used.
    I love this machine !
    Today it is generally considered the best of the "Prosumer" cameras with the Canon G2 as the runner up. (but the G2 feels like a "Brick")

you can see my galleries made with both cameras here:

http://www.pbase.com/silverfox

I hope this will be of help :)

10. resm macrumors 6502

Fuji 601

oh....by the way......that does not mean the Fuji 601 is a bad joice but for my taste I like a camera with a good zoom :)

one of my favorite pics on pbase is taken with a 601
    click here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/3623639

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

12. resm macrumors 6502

welcome in the club

but I assume it is the S602 ?

I have this camera for some time now and I am very happy with it.
    But it is not a "point and shot" camera.
    You have to work with it to find out what are the perfect settings for you.

But when you hit it right you can get fantastic pictures and prints.
    I can get photos printed all the way up to A3 size and they look great.

If you need some tips just ask :D

here the link to my gallery with some of the pics I made until now : (updated)

http://www.pbase.com/silverfox

and today I'm out again with my new 1Gig microdrive.
    that should last me for one day :)

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

The closest to a 4 megapixel digi elph is the Canon S40...great camera, I'm thinking of buying myself ^_^

Verbose, you already bought your camera, so this is a recommendation for those looking for a good, portable, vacation camera...the Minota Dimage X is a great portable...not the best pics though (only 2 MP), but small enough to go wherever you go on vacation.

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: welcome in the club

Yup, your right! My mistake, I did mean the S602.

15. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

not sure how advanced that camera is but I have got a Canon Ixus v.2 and its awesome. Very well built and very good quality.

Ensign