Fuji PCMCIA Slow As A Slug

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Earendil, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I recently bought a Fuji PCMCIA xD card reader for my Alum PB. I bought it for ease of use (no need for a connection between cam and computer) and because I was told it would be faster. Makes sense to me, because even though my computer has USB 2.0, I believe the camera is USB 1.1 :(

So anyway, I decide to test it. I fill my 128mb xD card up to the rim with a movie. a solid 128mb single file movie. I stick in the xD card, and transfer the file. And now it all goes down hill... My proc jumps from 15%-20% to 100%, things are noticeably slow, and the 128mb takes a minute and 20 seconds to transfer!!

1mb a second through a PCMCIA card?! Locking up the entire proc while it transfers? Please tell me I have a defective card, and that this isn't the way this thing is supposed to run :(

The only trouble hinting information I can give you guys is that (what I presume to be) the PCMCIA card icon that appears on the top menu bar, only has three options-
    "unknown Vendor"
    "fixed disk"
    "power off card"
    of which the first 2 are grayed out, and the last one doesn't actually do anything when you select it.
    As this Fuji PCMCIA card was supposed to be OSX compatible, I'm somewhat disturbed that it reads "vendor unknown" in that menu.

Help?

Tyler
    Earendil

2. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Can no one offer any advice either in the form of being able to fix it, or personal experience with how these things normally function? :(

I bought it off eBay and need to know if I should take issue with the seller...

Thanks to anyone that responds,

Tyler