Full 5 minute video of Bush's 911 inaction

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Mar 26, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link to mov download

Yes folks now you to can see the full 5 minutes of video from when Bush was told of the 911 attacks.

* Watch the look of the Presidents surprise and outrage.

* Thrill to the Commander-in-Chiefs rapid response.

* Notice his fast exit, safeguarding a school full of children from possible attack.

* See the President actually read (today children's books, tomorrow newspapers).

* Check out the amateur camera work.

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    pretty pointless video if you ask me...

and i'm no fan of bush.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All right...my first reaction was that, giving Bush the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just didn't want to alarm the kids. Maybe he was told, and had confidence, that Rumsfeld was taking appropriate action. But the explanation after the movie kinds of throws cold water on that. He did have a perfect opportunity to excuse himself and just quietly say, "I have something to attend to."

So I don't know. It still doesn't make Bush look as completely indifferent as that breathless article implies...yet you have to wonder, what the heck was he thinking??

Good ammunition for Kerry to use the next time Bush questions Kerry's ability to handle a crisis.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bush has said that, when first told, he was under the impression it was a small plane w/ a bad pilot. his first inclination was "accident," not "attack."

on one level, that's fine. he probably didn't have enough information to make the correct assessment.

BUT

the administration claims that terrorism weighed heavily on its mind pre-9/11. along w/ the WTC attack in '93, i would think that 'attack' would be the first inclination for someone for whom terrorism was a real concern (e.g. what do we think richard clarke would have thought, given the same information?).

imo, this is just one more example demonstrating that terrorism was not on bush's mind or very high up on his agenda pre-9/11.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not so sure, but I do remember thinking at the time, "where is the President?" Then after several hours of him being (as we learned latter) shuffled around the country on AF1, he appears on TV for a few minutes with a deer-in-the-headlights look on his face, and makes that tepid "we're going to get the folks who did this" remark. I hope when the 9-11 commission moves on to the day of the event that they'll ask pertinent questions about why the President was missing in action for so long during a time of national emergency.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Many of us at first thought it was some kind of horrible accident...but if this video was shot as stated above, then Bush can't use that excuse.

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Those were my thoughts. Arguments are weakened by things like this. Very probably he was in shock when he heard and that is why he had no obvious external reaction.

8. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I think the reason the President was missing in action for so long was because he is a bit of a target for Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations. Imagine what would have happened if the World Trade Center was destroyed, along with the White House (and imagine if the President had been in the White House at the time).

They shuffled him around during the first few hours after the attack because our government did not know when or where the next attack might happen. His dissapearance was simply a matter of national security.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i was much more inspired by guiliani heading down to the WTC that day than by bush hiding in a missile silo in the middle of the country. i expect leaders to lead, not hide.

i was in chicago, where all day there were rumors of more planes, and those planes heading towards chicago. i didn't have the luxury of hiding in a missile silo.

what does it say that i drew my inspiration from guiliani and tony blair, of all people?

10. sethypoo macrumors 68000

And if those leaders are dead, how might they lead?

Bush- leader of the free world.
    Guliani- Mayor of New York.

Who is more symbolic, I ask?

To answer my own question, I think the death of Bush by Al Qaeda terrorists would create more waves than the death of Guliani.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hey, it's fine if you want to defend bush's hiding. personally, i was ready, able and willing to give him a second chance (i didn't like him pre-9/11), but he never did anything to impress me.

heading back to DC immediately would have impressed me. in the end, it took, what, 13 hours for him to get back?

i think he was a *****. your mileage clearly varies.

edit: wow, didn't know that word is off-limits. rhymes w/ wussy.

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Somehow I doubt we would notice if he had been dead. He isn't a leader.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And if those leaders are to lead, how can they hide?

14. sethypoo macrumors 68000

That's arguable. Bush dies, things are going to happen. To say we won't notice is foolish, in the literal sense of the word. The media coverage would be horrendous.

They hide so the can lead later. A dead leader can't lead.

I never said Bush wasn't a ***** (or a wussy, depending on how you look at it). I don't like Bush either! All I'm trying to get across is the fact that he went into hiding for a few hours for a good reason. He needed to cover his own a$$ so that he could get his bearings straight: remember, he was the president at the time of a national disaster. There was and still is a lot of pressure on him.
    What did you guys want him to do? Waltz over to the World Trade Center and start digging right after the attacks? Or did you just want a simple press conference? Bush needed time to figure out something reasonably intelligent to tell America, he'd of been looked at as even more a fool if he got on the air right away to say "we have no idea what is going on, we'll get back to you ASAP." Not to mention the fact that all of America was either watching CNN, Fox, or the radio to find out what was going on.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

let's separate safety and appearance of strength.

i'm not suggesting bush brush off the secret service, stand in the white house lawn and shout "bring it on." i'm saying that what he did was evidence of cowardice. there existed multiple ways he could have stayed safe, looked brave and calmed a nation.

his brief statement before hiding was weak. a country full of people wondering where their president was -- both physically and from a leadership perspective -- was weak. making up stories about air force 1 being a target, in order to justify his cowardly behavior, was weak.

he was weak when he should have been strong. that is a larger issue than running straight away to the scene, imo. and as i've mentioned, had he run straight to the scene, i would have been impressed. but i don't mean to imply anything short of that wouldn't impress me. what he did and didn't do on 9/11 is what didn't impress me.

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

In this case a living leader can't lead, either. Calling him a leader is a real stretch. If he had died he would have died a hero. Living, he is a wuss. And a liar. It is unlikely we would have known this had he died.

I understand why the President of the US has to be protected in this case. I'm not arguing that. (Although I understand others are). But no doubt had Gore been in office "they" would have ripped him apart and said he was hiding.

17. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oh joy, a circular argument!

Nevermind :rolleyes:

Have fun guys.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nothing circular about it, or even elliptical. Not only did Bush remain out of sight for most of the day on 9-11, when he finally did talk to the nation, he had nothing inspirational to say about what the country was going through.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A leader who's not willing to sacrifice and risk himself for his people is no leader.

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

This is true. But in the United States the president doesn't have a choice.

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

:lol: Bush say something inspirational? :lol:

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He can at least make an effort to look brave. His MIA stunt was not confidence inspiring. Guiliani's actions were.

Had Bush returned to Washington or flown somewhere other than underground (even The Ranch would have sufficed) and taken command from there, the people of the nation would have felt much safer. And he would have been in no more danger than Guiliani.

I live near TMI and remember the concern we all had that day. The confusion and panic and helplessness were not helped by leaders who hid in undisclosed locations.

23. sethypoo macrumors 68000

sethypoo: "And if those leaders are dead, how might they lead?"

IJ Reilly: "And if those leaders are to lead, how can they hide?"

Not circular?

Whatever you say, IJ.

Neserk: Most of what you post is in your opinion, naturally. Bush is very inspirational to some, and not at all to others (such as you, me, most of the posters on this thread).

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

BY EXAMPLE. Didn't he watch Independence Day? He tried to do the ex-pilot thing for PR: couldn't he do it for the nation?

25. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

In testimony, Richard Clarke has stated that it was his call to have the President flown around AF1 until things were sorted out. Both he and the Secret Service did not want Bush anywhere near Washington that day. They had no clue what was in store for DC.