Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubsfan

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
So when people are having problems with 3G data, are you also having voice problems? Last night talking to my girlfriend, my call dropped, about 6 times before she refused to talk to me on the phone anymore. I've been having the 3G data problems too, though everything seems to work much better on Edge.

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Voice works fine for me, texting too, but not mms.
Its really bad right now, I've been trying to load any webpage for the last 30 minutes... hasnt even started loading. Took my sim out, put it back in, reset network settings... Nothing is fixing it.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I am having the same issue. Full bars and 3g icon but nothing works (Safari, email, Foursquare, Facebook).

I also have the issue (which I think is linked to this) of iP4 dropping data connection during the call - see here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/956138/

My battery life is very poor due to this as I think it keeps dropping 3g and then looking for it constantly.

I have a bumper case so it's not linked to the antenna issue.

My girlfriends iP4 is perfect and doesn't do that when both phones are side by side. Also my facetime calls to her fail most of the time but she gets through no matter what.

I've done everything from resetting network settings to changing sim cards.

I am on Vodafone in the UK if that helps.

Genius appointment tomorrow...

I'm also on Vodafone in the UK and my connection is all over the place. It will say full 5 3G bars yet won't be able to download, or will take a minute before it starts loading. Sometimes it works instantly, other times it just won't load anything, but the bars remain full.

I'd be very interested to hear what the Apple engineers tell you, in case I too need to book an appointment.

Cheers

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I've had this problem a few times now too in DC. Restarting the phone seems to clear it up though. Not sure if that is because of a problem with the phone or if it is connecting to a stronger / different tower.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I will let you know tomorrow evening. Do you also get 3g dropped during the call? Call your voicemail and see if 3g is dropped after about 10 seconds.

I'm also on Vodafone in the UK and my connection is all over the place. It will say full 5 3G bars yet won't be able to download, or will take a minute before it starts loading. Sometimes it works instantly, other times it just won't load anything, but the bars remain full.

I'd be very interested to hear what the Apple engineers tell you, in case I too need to book an appointment.

Cheers

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I went to a different AT&T Store today at lunch time. Once again, iphone 4 on display did the same thing my phone does, just sits there hanging once taken off wifi. The 3gs next to it was on 3.1.3, worked fine no problem. The rep there took out his 3gs that is on 4.0 and it works fine also. My girlfriends 3gs on 4.0 also works no issues.

This is begining to look like another widespread issue to me, except that im guessing most people get to use wifi most of the time, so they dont notice their 3g isnt working like it should.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I went to a different AT&T Store today at lunch time. Once again, iphone 4 on display did the same thing my phone does, just sits there hanging once taken off wifi. The 3gs next to it was on 3.1.3, worked fine no problem. The rep there took out his 3gs that is on 4.0 and it works fine also. My girlfriends 3gs on 4.0 also works no issues.

This is begining to look like another widespread issue to me, except that im guessing most people get to use wifi most of the time, so they dont notice their 3g isnt working like it should.

Bingo.

That said, I'm really enjoying using my iPod Touch 4. Who needs cell connectivity anyways, right?

muu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Having same issues. I'm not even in a busy area so traffic shouldn't be the reason this is happening, either. At least we have Edge, I guess. That works just fine...

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
this happens when you touch the bottom left corner, let the page load halfway then touch the corner the page wont finish loading until you let go of the corner.

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
It has nothing to do with the bottom left corner issue. This happens if its on my desk, or delicately holding it with 2 fingers.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England

I'm in exactly the situation as you, I went about 4 hours without data access this afternoon and it drove me nuts, also reminding me how much i use the damn thing!

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
iphone.jpeg

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
Makes it seem like a service issue rather than a phone issue.

It just seems odd as I've never had issues at the office before. Now it's suddenly giving me major problems.

Then why would it be a service issue?

viper3885

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I think it may be an iOS 4 issue. I say this because before I got the iPhone 4, I updated my 3GS to iOS 4 and it also seemed to randomly do this. Now today I was talking to my friend who has a 3G that recently updated to iOS 4 and also seems to randomly get this issue.

DMod

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I'm having the same issue. I'm located in King of Prussia, PA and i've been noticing every time I go into the office it doesn't work. I'll have Full 5 Bars but the data feed is not responding... I have an appointment with Apple today after work.

Can you let me know how this turns out? I live in King of Prussia and work in Malvern. I have the EXACT same issues.

5 bars, nothing loads.

turtlehead

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Oh joy!

Well I noticed today that my 3g was doing the same thing that everyone else is complaining about.

But today I had 1 bar on my iPhone 4 and I checked my gf xenon phone (she is on my plane) and she had 2 bars so I am pretty sure it is at&t.

Also since yesterday I have been having call problems. Hopefully a software update will be out SOON and it is something that is just conflicting with one another.

turtlehead

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
update

Well I noticed today that my 3g was doing the same thing that everyone else is complaining about.

But today I had 1 bar on my iPhone 4 and I checked my gf xenon phone (she is on my plane) and she had 2 bars so I am pretty sure it is at&t.

Also since yesterday I have been having call problems. Hopefully a software update will be out SOON and it is something that is just conflicting with one another.

Well I just got back from going for a little ride. Since I wasn't driving I was able to mess with the iPhone in multiple places. In wide open places the 3g is as fast as wifi but other places it was VERY spotty, BUT also with a lot of those places there wifi connections that popped up, SO my whole software conflict theory maybe right but who really knows till an update comes out.

Hope this can kinda help.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Not an AT&T issue. I have been getting this issue occasionally. Nothing to do with left hand corner either.

It gets fixed when phone is rebooted. Not sure if iOS4 issue or iPhone 4 issue.

Either way its annoying.

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Wish mine worked after rebooting the phone. I havnt been able to use 3g at all today. I've resorted to edge. Its pretty terrible that my iphone 3g was better at surfing then this

zizo79

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
QQ Part
I just wanted to add that I am having the same issue as well as I was out today. Facebook and Safari have been acting up all day and it is getting really frustrating. We pay top buck to get a good piece of hardware on top of paying AT&T a lot of money, I think that we all deserve to get good service??
As much as I love it, Am I the only one who is thinking about returning their iPhone ? My wife has my 3GS with iOS 4 and it is running faster...

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I called AT&T and asked why my 3G is slow and not working at times. I asked her to check if any towers are down she said three are down. One will be fixed by 740 and another 840. And the third will be fixed tm this could explain why 3G speeds are slow in nj

turtlehead

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
I called AT&T and asked why my 3G is slow and not working at times. I asked her to check if any towers are down she said three are down. One will be fixed by 740 and another 840. And the third will be fixed tm this could explain why 3G speeds are slow in nj

nj? i'm in wv :confused:

i just called at&t also and they said it's a national outage.

mrFinder

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010

Not trying to sound like a negative ned, but this doesn't explain much. Once again, I had an iPhone 3GS right next to my iPhone 4. Both had 5 full bars of 3G. iPhone 3GS loaded pages in normal time, while the iPhone 4 struggled, taking more than a minute, if it even loaded at all. If it's a network issue, it should be affecting ALL phones, not just the iPhone 4. What's interesting is that at late night, around 1-2AM, I get VERY FAST speeds consistently. But once I wake up, after 8-9AM, the speed drops if it even works at all.

Any by the way, from the looks of it, it seems that 100% of the people in this thread are experiencing this problem. Not a single person has said that their iPhone 4 is giving them "normal" speeds at all times. Just an interesting fact, I thought.

Side note: where in NJ are you located? I live in Central Jersey near Rutgers and I've been experiencing this problem for the past few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.