FULL FTP IN FINDER?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by prezet, Apr 27, 2005.

1. prezet macrumors newbie

Hi - can anyone with Tiger tell us if there is full FTP support in the finder (read & write)>???

2. andysmith macrumors 6502

3. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Shucks. The title of this thread had me temporarily excited. The reliability of those free ftp programs like rbrowser lite and cyberduck falls through the floor when I'm trying to upload a lot - like backing up my documents folder, etc.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does ftp from the terminal handle things like resource forks properly? (guessing, no)....

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

This is a surprising oversight. Why is it still necessary to run a third-party app to connect to an FTP server in OSX?
    I have my FTP saved as a "Network Place" in WinXP; FTP works exactly like any other Explorer window.

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

This is true, but I find ftp in XP is highly unreliable.

It would be nice for apple to include it, but FTP is always handled better by a dedicated app. I recommend Transmit 3 (panic.com)

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

While it is nice that you can access FTP through Windows, I do miss a lot of the features of a dedicated program. I do think that Apple should at leas implement write capabilities. At least put it on par with the Windows equivalent. Those of us that want extra features are willing to go get them anyway. I use Transmit as I find they have the best blend of features paired with a solid user experience.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aren't a lot of places moving away from ftp and to webdav for security reasons? I know that our IT dep't did that. They actually shut down the ftp service last week. The webdav doesn't work correctly in Panther, but it is supposed to be updated in Tiger, so I'm hoping....

9. toti macrumors member

No, Apple should stop supporting ftp for anything but anonymous download connections.

It's a legacy protocol that sends your userid/password in cleartext and should have been banned off the net a decade ago.

If you want to use file transfer protocols, use SFTP. At least it's secure.

If your ISP doesn't support SFTP, tell him to, or move to a new ISP.

10. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Same here. I don't understand Apple.

But I have some good and very exciting news for anyone interested in a good (and free) FTP client. No more than a couple months ago Cyberduck was literally garbage. The connections would freeze up on me all the time, and the interface was slow and cumbersome. But after having not used it for several months, I whipped it out the other day, only to get an alert saying a new version was available. I don't know what version had, but when I downloaded 2.4.4, all my problems and complaints vanished! It's like a whole new program now! No more flakey behavior, and very stable operation. It rocks. I love it now.

I can't say I've ever seen such a pleasant turnaround in an application before.