Full HD backup missed out home folder?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by the-fish, Jan 11, 2007.

1. the-fish macrumors member

I backed up my hard drive with Backup 3 and put the file on an external HD. I formatted the original hard drive.

Now I want to restore my files. When I open the .fullBackup file in Backup, it shows me the "Macintosh HD" thing with a checkbox and all the subdirectories and enclosed files with checkboxes, as expected - however, my home folder is missing. Upon seeing this I drilled into the .fullBackup file, found the .sparseImage, mounted it and found my home folder was there, although presumably some data about it would only be loaded if Backup opened the file, as there were odd errors like things being icon- and extension-less...

How can I restore my HD from the backup? All the files are there but for some reason my home folder is excluded from the backup interface.
    Also, I can't manually copy the files after expanding the backup as some are in use by OS X or running apps etc. whenever my computer's on, and I can't copy my home folder stuff from the mounted .sparseImage as there are weird errors as previously described.

Is there a solution involving, say, booting in target disk mode and doing some copying from another computer, logging in as root or ANYTHING?!

Help appreciated.

For future reference, how should I back up my HD in a way that all of my stuff (including my bloody home folder!) is retained?

2. Queso macrumors G4

You weren't using FileVault by any chance were you?