full screen for quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by southbark, Jan 4, 2007.

1. southbark macrumors regular

I was trying to play an avi and it wont play full screen video.I am new to mac so maybe i am missing something

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can only play movies in full-screen if you have Quicktime Pro, which costs $30.

3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

unfortunatly the basic feature requires quicktime pro. there are other programs that can make quicktime full-screen.

(darn mad jew beat me to it)

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Or you could use VLC, which isn't as pretty, but it'll play just about anything (except wmvs) in any viewing mode you like. And it's free!

5. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You can just use iTunes, which is already installed on every Mac, can play anything QuickTime can play (including WMVs via Flip4Mac), and also keeps your files organized all nice and pretty. The iTunes full-screen also has really a really nice controller that appears when you move your mouse around.

I'm stunned every time one of these threads comes up and nobody suggests this.

8. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i hate how iTunes handles videoplayback. First it starts in that little corner screen, which you click, which opens a separate window, etc...

iTunes is my least favorite way to view videos... each to his/her own!

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Actually the newest release of VLC now supports WMV playback. :cool:

I would recommend NicePlayer to get around this if you really want to use a QT type of app. Along with that, you will require Perian and Flip4Mac. Then you'll be set!

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Or you could just set it to play full screen. It's in the general preferences.

11. Sam0r macrumors regular

Since when has iTunes been able to play .avi's encoded with divx? I've tried importing some .avi's and it wont have it, even with the correct quicktime components installed.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you restarted since installing the QuickTime components? What components are you talking about? :)

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

When iTunes "plays" something - it's actually QuickTime thats playing it. So if you can play it in QuickTime, it will play in iTunes.