Full screen mode on 20" intel iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VCH, May 27, 2006.

1. VCH macrumors newbie

How can I force DVDs and games to use the entire 20" screen? As it is I'm left with two blank margins on either side of the central image. Someone said to set the screen to "stretch to fit" but I can't see how I could do that.

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

You can do that. The method varies:

* For games, change the Screen Resolution in the game's options. Most games support your native widescreen 1680x1050. Some games will only support it if you install a downloaded hack, or if you edit the size in a config text file someplace. InsideMacGames.com or the games forum here might be places to ask about widescreen on a specific game.

* For DVDs in Tiger, just go to Window > Video Zoom (in the DVD player app). There are several presets, but I prefer to re-size the video manually. You can then save your preset for other movies--just make sure when you save the preset that you choose to allow it for ALL discs, not just the one that's in the machine. (And then you may still have to CHOOSE that preset when you insert a new movie--I'm not sure.)

* If you don't have Tiger, maybe another player like VLC (see VersionTracker.com) can do it--I'm not sure. But what you do for sure in Panther is go to Universal Access system prefs and increase the screen zoom just a little bit above 1x. This is awkward because you must put the mouse pointer in the middle of the screen or the movie will be off-center. But the pointer vanishes after a moment.

3. VCH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. Everything you said worked perfectly. You have made me very happy, and a bit ashamed. I should have known these things. But the big screen seems to have really thrown me off. Thanks much :)