Full Screen Video Controls

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by QFace, Apr 11, 2005.

1. QFace macrumors member

QFace

I know that QT 6 does not have full screen video controls, but are there other Mac programs that do have full screen video controls? I am currently using VLC, but that program does not seem to have full screen controls either (though it doesn't have artifacts when playing family guy like QT does).

2. QFace thread starter macrumors member

QFace

Also... how can I set VLC to be the default media player rather than Quicktime?

3. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

Tiger will have fullscreen video controls, I think I saw it during one of steve's keynotes.

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yep, that is correct. And it is going to be a lot faster too since it has been rewritten in Cocoa.

5. Zim Bargo macrumors member

VLC does have full screen controls - though not being on my Mac at the moment I can't be 100% sure which they are. shift + apple + c I think, but maybe shift alt c.

Check in the status bar and you should see the shortcut options

Zim

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

VLC does have various key commands for full screen, just look at the commands in your preferences. Supposedly you can change them also, but I had no luck when I did. You can indeed pull up the controller in full-screen mode by hitting shift+apple+c.

7. mistabaka macrumors member

Real Player

Real Player 10 Also Has Fullscreen Controls (free). It Plays Quicktime Movies as Well As Real Video.

8. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Why do so many people believe this? Quicktime is going to be faster because they are optimizing it. Cocoa has nothing to do with it at all.

I have yet to see a Cocoa app that is faster than a Carbon app that has seen similar attention paid to it...

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Although I guess I need to clarify it further. Not because it is Cocoa now it is faster but because it has been rewritten from scratch and therefore made leaner and faster.

10. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Then perhaps you should have left out in Cocoa from your statement. :p

I was about to reply like Rincewind42 did, but I'm glad to see that you don't make the common mistake of assuming that Cocoa is faster/better in every possible way than Carbon. Yes, Carbon is older (sort of; Cocoa has roots going back to NextStep but I don't know the history off the top of my head). But that doesn't mean it's automatically better, especially from the end user's point of view. From what I understand, for example, Cocoa does a lot of dynamic loading of things at runtime, which of course slows things down, especially at startup. Though prebinding does help a lot.

Sorry for the off-topic excursion, I just like debunking the common myths that go around here. At least we can all be sure that 64-bit support in Tiger will make things twice as fast on G5s! ;) :D

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I must have sworn that QuickTime is a cocoa app since version 6.x came out... But I must be wrong, because it still has that old clockwatch cursor (which is a clear giveaway of a carbon app).

12. QFace thread starter macrumors member

QFace

Default Video Players

Thanks for all the info on the video players... can anybody tell me how to set VLC as the default player for video files? Do I have to set VLC as the default for individual file types, and if so, how do I do that? Thanks!

13. isgoed macrumors 6502

There may be a way to see an overview of all files and their matching apps (system profiler maybe?), but here is a quick tip.

Select a video file
    Press Menu->File->Show Info
    in the drop down menu "open with" select your prefered application.
    Press use for all files.
    (if your application is not listed you can select "other" and check the checkbox "use this programm for all files of this kind")

My explanation may not exactly match the items you see, since I use a foreign language OS and I translated it to english.