full WiFi signal no internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by indoors54, Jul 20, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

i have a fairly new little over a year macbook. I have a full signal bar to my linksys wireless router but when i open up safari it says theres no connection. Connection setup says connected. please help.

2. macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Have you tried making sure that all the cords are plugged in? If they are, reset the modem and router.

If it's still not working call your ISP and see if they can help you fix your connection.

If it's still not working, it may be that your MacBook has a problem. Try getting internet on another computer. If all your computers have no internet, it's your router, modem, or ISP. If your MB is the only thing not getting internet, it's a software or hardware problem.

Hope that makes sense, it's my poor attempt at a trouble shooting guide.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

thats the thing, when i connect to my neighbors internet it works. my dad has an imac in his room and works on the linksys router. ive reset the router and modem nothing. im gonna take it into the apple store soon to see if they can help.

4. macrumors 65816

davidg4781

Is the iMac connected to the Linksys router wirelessly or wired?

This happened to me a few times, and it was always caused by my broadband box not supplying internet to the router...either by a cord not plugged in correctly, the box not configured correctly, or my ISP not giving the box interwebs.

If not, maybe your Mac is set up to not receive internet through that connection. I'm not sure if that's possible, but, that's the only other thing I can think of.

5. macrumors member

I've had similar problems amongst other problems with getting wireless to work properly. Seems to be OK now.

What worked for me was to put the address of the router in as the DNS server address in the network settings (hope this makes sense).

Not sure why it works or actually what it does (I'm not a network expert at all!), but for me it fixed the no internet access problem when the wireless connection was otherwise fine.

Chris

6. macrumors 6502a

iJesus

The only other thing I can think of would be a MAC address block on your laptop. Maybe the iMac is already setup on it?

7. macrumors regular

macmikey2

check network settings

Some Linksys routers (incorrectly) do not provide the router IP address or DNS addresses. I have found that this causes a lot of Internet failures, even though the Mac says it is connected.

Open Sys Prefs and check the Network settings for your wireless. There should be a IP addy for the Router. If not, there is your problem. If there is, look further down and see if DNS has any entries. If not try to add your own, such as the public OpenDNS addy's :
    208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220
    These work for anyone no matter what.

Hope this helps,
    Mike