Fullscreen or Widescreen...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dave1234, Jan 20, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Which do you prefer Fullscreen or Widescreen (im not sure if they are different words, or one)

I myself am a widescreen man, I dont know of any fullscreen people.

2. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you have to be ignorant to want full screen basically

which is how lots of people are

i've heard people in blockbuster and such asking for the full screen because they want it to fill the screen... they don't realize that they are in fact missing out on part of the picture.... but i guess can't really blame them, no one makes that clear

3. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

widescreen, but I wish that movies used 16:9 film so that it would fill my entire widescreen TV.

4. macrumors 604

scem0

Which
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Would
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rather
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Look
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    At?

Widescreen....

scem0

5. macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Excellent demo, sir. Widescreen all the way. Fullscreen is foolish. I don't have the motivation to find it now, but a few weeks ago The Onion did a little piece on just this topic...

6. macrumors 6502a

Wow, that was a really good comparison. Did you just have those pictures or did you find them on a website somewhere?

BEN

7. macrumors 604

scem0

8. macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    thanks, i've been looking for something like this to show my dad just how crappy full screen is!

9. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ideally nothing with brendan fraser. ;)

10. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

give me the works... ;)

11. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

For me it depends on the situaiton / tv

if i'm on my laptop i enjoy the widescreen view but if i'm on the family 37" TV thats 4:3 i'd rather watch i nful lscreen because it works better on that screene

12. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Widescreen all the way. Now if I could only get rid of those annoying black bars that go across the top of the screen on my widescreen TV while watching a DVD...

13. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Definitely widescreen.

One of the local TV stations has a terrible habit. They take 2.35:1 movies, then crop them down to 16:9. But they always show you the centre of the frame, so you end up with the wrong part of the picture a lot. I don't see how anyone can put up with that.

14. macrumors Core

MacNut

widescreen all the way

I only watch my DVDs in widescreen, but i hate how the networks "edit to fit my screen" why cant they show it in its natural form, I hate that.

15. macrumors 6502a

Re: widescreen all the way

Absolutely. They should show widescreen movies always. I personally don't mind the black bars on top & bottom; it makes it feel like a real movie. I remember specifically the movie that made me want to see everything in widescreen... it was Apollo 13. I got the widescreen VHS for Xmas one year, and then they played it on TV in full screen mode, and I couldn't believe the difference! Almost half the movie wasn't there!!!!:eek:

Anyways, since then I've gotten every movie I own (DVD or VHS) in widescreen format. I find it baffling when I hear people at the store desperately searching for the full screen version of anything. If only they would see the light!

Scem0- Great demo! Can't wait to show that to my friends!

16. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That was pretty good scem0, a picture is worth a thousand words. widescreen all the way.

17. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I'm an OAR man myself. Original Aspect Ratio. Not all films were shot widescreen. ;)

Lethal

18. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Good point, it was some point in the early 50s that movies began to be filmed in the widescreen format, i believe.

19. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, believe it or not, Panavision (panoramic size film) was an answer to television. They made it bigger specifically so that TV couldn't compete and it would keep people from watching movies at home and have a reason to go to the theaters.

D

20. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Fullscreen....but only on a widescreen TV or display. :p

My sister once had a friend so gullible, she convinced her that when the movie says it's been formatted to fit your TV, it actually meant HER specific TV.

21. macrumors 6502

I think the reason the big 4 networks don't broadcast in widescreen is because they don't want someone's switchboard jammed because some oldster thinks his or her tv is now broken, there's these ugly black bands on the screen, and will someone please just fix it?

Of course I prefer to see movies in their original aspect ratio. (16x9 I don't believe is exactly a legitimate filmed motion picture aspect ratio, btw -- close to 1.85:1, but actually 1.78:1...)

I do have a related question, though, maybe some of you real videophiles can help. Would it be better to get a "widescreen" tv, or the "same" size 4:3 (regular screen) tv? I mean, the screens are measured diagonally, right? So, isn't, say, a 34" widescreen actually slightly wider but lots shorter than a 34" regular screen? I mean, arguably, the widescreen might give you slightly more real estate on a widescreen movie than the regular screen, and do away with the black cropping; but if you can live with the bars on a 4:3 screen, wouldn't that be almost as large as the widescreen, while giving you a much bigger standard 4:3 image?

Is this just a question of which do you watch more, tv or DVDs? Is the solution to have a "regular" tv and a "media room" tv?

Or am I just not making any sense here (always a possibility)?

22. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Agreed!

23. macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    that's a great way of thinking about it. i don't want to watch something fullscreen that was cute from a widescreen original, but at the same time i'd hate to watch ST:TNG in some funky widescreen.

24. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    widescreen!!! actually i want a movie theatre hehe

25. macrumors regular

i like widescreen, i mean what the hell is the point of buying a widescreen pbook if i don't have widescreen dvd's?

however, family members get me fullscreen sometimes. oh well... it doesn't bother me to the point where i will waste the time to go return it and deal with that shiat.