Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
... anyone else notice that Lion has enabled 64 bit processing that was not there with Snow Leopard?

Perviously my 2.8 extreme first generation iMac was not fully in 64 bit mode and now it is... makes me very happy...:eek:

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
... anyone else notice that Lion has enabled 64 bit processing that was not there with Snow Leopard?

Perviously my 2.8 extreme first generation iMac was not fully in 64 bit mode and now it is... makes me very happy...:eek:

I'm assuming you're referring to the 64-bit Kernel? Yes, it boots K64 by default now. I think the 8 years it's taken driver developers to get to this point is enough ;)

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

What practical difference will this make to the average user and how is this better?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
You could always enable it in Snow Leopard. In fact the 2011 MBPs boot into 64-bit kernel mode...factory default.

What practical difference will this make to the average user and how is this better?

32-bit Applications & Kernel taking advantage of more than 4GB of RAM is all.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yep, forgot to add that.
I assumed you were talking about the kernel.

The 32-bit kernel is also part of this limitation. It can only use 4GB of RAM to do it's job (which is enough for now). But that limitation goes out the window in 64-bit mode.

And just out of curiosity, does Apple require applications and drivers to be in 64-bit for 10.7?

They would REALLY like you to but there's no enforced rule or anything.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.