Fully Formatting an External Hard Drive - good idea or no?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gamestriker, Jul 6, 2006.

1. gamestriker macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2004
    I have a LaCie 160 GB d2 Hard Drive Extreme Triple Interface and I've been looking to purge it and do a full format (it is currently formatted Mac OS Extended; I want to make it Mac OS Extended Journaled).

I have couple of questions about fully formatting an external 3rd party hard drive.

1) Is it a good idea to fully reformat a 3rd party external hard drive (to something different from the factory default)? I've heard that can cause issues with the drive (fussiness, burning out faster, etc.).

2) It's a 160 GB drive but when its empty I only have 149GB of free space. I know I can't get the full 160GB but will fully reformatting it give me some (at least a few more gigs) of space on it?

I appreciate the help.
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    It won't jack up your drive. I have 4 Lacie 250 Gig drives, all have been reformated by me and everything is working just fine.

You may gain or loose a few gigs, but it won't be aprecable.
  3. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    You should get the same amount of space no matter what format you use, within a little bit of each other. So to answer your question, no.
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    You don't need to reformat to enable journaling on a drive. Just open Disk Utility, select the volume you want to enable journaling on, and click the "Enable Journaling" button.