Fun with ARD2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Toe, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Interesting, but what exactly is the point?

3. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    That's what I'm wondering... why does this feature even exist?

But if I need a point for posting, then it would be to ask... why isn't the line perfectly straight?
  4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are you using ARD2 to monitor your own screen to get the screen-within screen effect? And then repeating the operation to cascade them?

If so, I can try answering your question. I'd say that each screen image is scaled to fit within the slightly smaller available window space, and the scaling introduces a little bit of rounding error. So once in a while it will jump a pixel to the left or right from the accumulated error.

We ordered ARD2 this week at school, so I'll soon be able to try this too.
  5. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    that pattern looks exactly like the shirt i'm wearing...
  6. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    Yeah, that's my screen reflection, and yeah, I think you're right about the pixel jump. Interesting pattern though, eh?
  7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I've been "having fun" with upgrading my systems at work for ARD2. Lots of machines fail to take an upgrade initiated by the admin app and those that have upgraded to 2.0 sometimes won't allow me to connect (timeouts, login failures, etc.).

I can't say I'm impressed with it. ARD1 had it's rough edges, but at least the last version was pretty stable and straightforward. As a sysadmin, I need a remote control app upgrade to work, not cause me a ton of extra work, going machine to machine, just to get back up and running.
  8. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    ARD2 seems buggy as all getout. I have trouble getting many of the basic features (such as all the reports) to work.

BUT, the advanced features work wonderfully. The Send Unix Command is a dream come true.

You can keep all your computers up to date by sending:
    softwareupdate -i -r

Or see what they need first, by sending:
    softwareupdate -l

Try it in your own terminal first, if you want. We're migrating our users from local accounts to Mobile Accounts entirely through ARD Send Unix Command. Really powerful stuff.