Fun with tech support

Discussion in 'Community' started by Nermal, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This has absolutely nothing to do with Apple, but I feel like I need to share it with someone. I can't help but laugh at the absolute stupidity here.

First, a bit of background. I have DSL, which was ordered through my phone company, Telecom. Telecom's brand name for DSL is Jetstream. My ISP is named Paradise. The only other thing you need to know is that I have a cap on my connection (there's a limit to how much I can transfer per month).

Anyway, I couldn't log into the usage meter (which is on Telecom's site). I keeps giving me a 'login incorrect' message. So I emailed Telecom and let them know. After about 2 days, they replied, saying that I'd need to contact the 'Jetstream Team.' This team is part of the same company, but the tech support guy obviously doesn't know how to use the Forward button.

I email the Jetstream Team and tell them of my problem. After another couple of days, I get a reply from them, saying that since I'm not using MSN :eek:, I need to contact Paradise. I'm starting to get annoyed by this point, but I email Paradise anyway.

After 10 days :eek: Paradise replies, apologising for the inconvenience, and tells me to log into the usage meter with my phone number as the username, and my phone line account number as the password. The support guy includes a little summary showing my phone number and account number, which are both correct, yet when I try to log into the usage meter it still doesn't work.

I reply, saying that it's still not letting me in. He then asks for my phone number - the exact same number he had provided to me in his previous email! :rolleyes:

This is getting ridiculous. Has anyone else had this much 'fun' with tech support?

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Wow, that's quite a problem. Can't say I've had anything that bad, but I do have to deal with AOL's tech support on a monthly basis, which pretty much explains itself.

The family doesn't like the idea of having their own user accounts on the computer and using Mail with iChat and all that, they like having everything integrated. (Even if it kills me to have to deal with it all.) And I hate to say this, but it seems like all the support people who work at AOL definitely don't speak English as their first language, and answer your questions by reading the answers off a "Say this when the customer asks..." sheet.

Gets pretty annoying having your question "rounded off", if you will. Like I asked them once how to share my AOL internet connection across my networked Macs. They said that AOL doesn't allow ICS on PCs. I explained that I wasn't on a PC, so the process was entirely different. He didn't seem to agree. A couple days later, I was enjoying wireless freedom with my iBook. :)

I should also mention that we're using AOL's dial-up service, which made the sharing stuff even more difficult... If I could switch to Earthlink this very instand, I would. :rolleyes:

(Lol sorry if this post seems like a bunch of little blurbs and doesn't flow very well... Kinda flustered over the whole idea still, and got off the phone with a AOL Tech dude just a couple hours ago... Hope you get your problem fixed though!)

3. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i havent had too many problems with support, but with the service itself. the companies screwing up all the time, but the tech support are allways nice enough. i allways ask for the advanced support anyway. the low level peons dont know the meaning of "ip adress"

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oh yes, I had my first (and only) experience with AOL about 3 years ago on a friend's computer. It was an absolute nightmare to even get the thing to connect. It didn't take me long at all to convince him to switch to a different ISP.

That'd be annoying. Fortunately I can solve most problems on my own and have previously only needed to call my ISP once. I was relieved to find that the person on the other end wasn't watering down my questions :) (and it ended up being Telecom's fault anyway)

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They've *finally* replied with a working username and password to get into the usage meter. So I go in, and see that I've used a total of 0 MB :eek:

If they're not tracking my usage, then I'm not going to complain :D

6. dPratt macrumors member

OK, this is rather long, but I need to rant...my worst experience with Tech Support has been with Comcast. So, I moved on June 1 and had scheduled to have my cable tv and internet service transferred to my new condo across town. Comcast then called me and offered to upgrade my service from basic cable to Digital + Starz (premium movie channel) for an extra $15/mo. That's a decent deal and I was thinking about getting digital anyway, and Starz was bonus. So I agreed, they came out to connect on moving day. First of all, they didn't connect all the wires they were supposed to and nothing worked, which I didn't find out until they had already left and I finally got a tv out of the moving van. So they had to come back again to get everything turned out. My first bill arrived and there's no special discount for Digital + Starz. I called tech support, they had no idea what discount I was talking about. They filed a "trouble ticket" and I didn't hear back from them again. I called back, they forwarded me to telemarketing, I left a message, and never heard back. I don't really remember how many calls I made, but close to 10 I think. I left messages with the head of telemarketing who never returned my calls, then with his supervisor and she never called back. Finally I got another supervisor and he told me the local telemarketing people (who I've been trying to talk with for 2 weeks) don't deal with anything but the Internet anyway :rolleyes: So he said he'd give me the discount and credit my account. Fine I guess, but I was still pretty annoyed and complained about everything. He couldn't have cared less, as far as he was concerned, "the matter was resolved" :mad:

OK, this is getting rather long. But anyway, I thought everything was taken care of, but no. The next bill came and you guessed it, full price for Digital + Starz. I called to complain, they said they'd fix it and discount that month. The next bill came, again, no discount. They said they'd fix it, and told me my new total after the discount so I sent that amount. My next bill came and they never gave me the discount so I didn't pay enough for the month before. I called and just cancelled Starz (because without the discount it's not worth paying for) and payed my bill. When the next bill showed up it not only had a $2 fee for canceling Starz but a $5 late fee because since I hadn't paid the full amount the month before the bill was due "on receipt," even though I sent it in 2 weeks before the normal due date. God I hate Comcast. Anyway, I called again and got the stupid late fee removed. Oh, and during all of this I switched to DSL just so I wouldn't be paying Comcast for something I could get from another company.

I just wish there was some competition for cable tv. Because of the condo regulations I can't put a satellite dish anywhere that can get a signal, and the only cable competitor doesn't service my address (even though they do service only 2 blocks down the street). Thanks for starting a thread for venting frustrations about tech support :)

7. thecow macrumors 6502

Comcast is the evil empire. They will find any excuse to bill you for something extra. When my family signed up we ordered the $10 a month cable but they set us up for the $50 a month cable and they charged us to change it but they bibn't do it right so we pay $10 for the $50 cable. :cool:

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Best one was SKY, UK satellite company, telling me that, of course, it's not their fault that they installed my satellite dish where it will only work for 6 months of the year. They can't be expected to foresee that 60' horse chestnut trees grow leaves in the spring.

Current one is O2, mobile phone co, where I have a faulty handset that I need to return to a shop. The customer service team need to fax something to the store I choose to return it to. I pick a store that's close but not without some inconvenience and tell them. They tell me that I need to provide them with their shop's address and fax number. So I have to make one trip to the store to get the fax number and a second trip to drop off the phone once the fax is received (no can do both at the same time). The store is also new enough to have been put on their website's list of phone numbers so you have to go visit. Argh!

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    gah that sooo irritating!!! i hate being passed around

10. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Can't say I have had any nightmare tech support incidents yet but I have had some nightmare customers. There have been many instances where they will read our support pages and still ask questions that were obviously answered or request that a human hold their hand rather than reading the pages. With the latter, as I am human and prone to mistakes, I would rather they rely on my already checked and double checked support documents, but they don't really want to understand that... *sigh*

11. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I work for a software development company, and we have completely free trial versions of all our products. The worst customer I've had is someone who complained that the software doesn't do what they want, and that they wanted a refund, and if we don't give them the refund then they'll report us to the ??? (some American place?)

I wanted to yell 'so why the **** did you buy the thing if you didn't like it?' :mad:

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was on the phone today with D-Link tech support (wireless router) with a Comcast Cable (cable modem) technician standing next to me (only arrived 2 hours into the scheduled time) trying to diagnose why my computer/system was having issues uploading to the internet (I couldn't post at MacRumors, it was getting serious :D).

I couldn't download the firmware upgrade for the router, so I had to contact someone via iChat (thanks MoxieMike!) and get him to download the upgrade and send it back to me in iChat.

After a bunch of running around and rebooting the modem and router everything worked out nicely. A pretty convoluted fix, but its all ok now. :D

D

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I remember when I was living in NJ, I came back from a business trip to DC and found all this cable modem stuff in the house: cables, splitters, modem etc. So I set it up it and got it working.

Then at 5pm my roommate comes home and can't believe it's working. Apparently he has spent the last several days struggling with Optimum Online to get it going, and finally a tech came around and told him we would need a booster (or some such) before it would work.

He kept insisting I was pulling some sort of trick with the browser cache :)

14. oreo macrumors member

The worst one I had was Freeserve (wanadoo), when I moved they charged me for moving address of my account. Wasn't happy but paid it, a call them a week later to find out & they had taken down the wrong expiry date of my card, (why didn't they try to call) Once I was finally reconnected I complained & they refunded me my money for moving. :) It didn't stop there 6 month later when they changed names, they said they were going to start capping the useage every month & as my contract was up I moved ISP, when I called to say I was cancelling they told me that when I moved a new contract was started! :eek: After an arguement, I won & moved ISP.

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory