Fun with XP

Discussion in 'Community' started by parrothead, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I am sure there is enough of Windows bashing on this site, but I just had to add my piece. I recently had to get a PC for work so I spent a little more and got a nicer one. Unfortunately it still runs Windows XP. Anyway, today I had to deal with at least 15 blue screens of death. I know what is causing it, a program I need to use for work has a bug, but come on. Why can't the program crash and not the whole blasted thing. I sure hope the developer comes out with a patch soon, cause this is getting ridiculous. :mad:

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Its amazing how something like Windows can ruin such good things like a Pentium M @ 2.13GHz, 2GB DDR, PCI-Express Graphics Cards, etc...

Kinda like mustard on strawberry cheesecake or
    putting polka-dot styled paint on a new Porsche! ;)

Oh Well....thank God for Macs!!!! :D

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is an all too common problem on Windows - the cause is almost always poorly written device drivers. Since device drivers interface with Windows at the hardware level, these are the most likely to cause Windows to fatally crash if they aren't well-behaved. This is true of all other operating systems as well, including our beloved Mac OS X ;)

4. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

A lot of people say that XP rarely gets blue screens. Well, they dont use Kodak Easy Share software! At work, it causes the BSoDs all the time.

5. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Here is a fun one. I have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse/hub from Logitech. IF I lock the computer more than twice (and i have fast user switching turned on) then one of the processes that the bluetooth thing uses starts using all the CPU. Its name is KHALMNPR.EXE, its a fairly well known problem, but logitech doesn't seem interested in fixing it.

6. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

WinXP (what I believe through experience & current unfortunately) = Not a True MultiTasking System!

Once you go Mac you never Go BACK!

Nuff Said.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try syncing/filling a 3G iPod over firewire on either 2000 or XP. Instant BSoD... :D

8. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

RSoD?!

thanks for the link Mitthrawnuruodo. I was shocked to read "that in Longhorn it [BSoD] will be complemented with the red screen of death, which will be used for the more serious errors".

Microsoft should just borrow the Homeland Security Advisory System color scheme from the government (like they "borrow" everything else), and use it in a handy (always displayed) OS monitor. At least this way people can have a chance to just "walk away" before things go haywire.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And so XP sucks? :confused:

I think you're taking this a bit far. How about Tiger being completely messed up, and unbootable as well, after I installed iScroll 2. Can I say that OSX and Apple suck?

Use your head, parrot.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh good, a random Windows bashing thread...

The other night I booted up my XP box to play a game (just about its only use) and I got that "critical updates are ready" *boop* (I've already set it to just notify instead of downloading and installing automatically). So I figured what the hell, it's going to keep haranguing me about the update, I'll let it download and install, and I can do the reboot when I'm done with the game. Download, install, reboot now or wait for later... I choose "later" and proceed to start up my game.

Five minutes into the game (just enough time for me to get involved), a dialog box appears smack-dab in the middle of the screen asking me if I want to restart now or later. Of course I want to restart later, that's what I told you minutes ago, you bloody idiotic machine. Naturally, I can't dismiss the dialog box without exiting the game. I proceed to dismiss the dialog, restart the game and... you guessed it. No way is Windows going to let me continue about my business without a reboot.

Ah, nothing like a pleasant session with Windows to make you appreciate your Mac. ;)

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I did that many times and never had a problem...:confused:

I remember Window's crashing. Having to do a Safe Boot to write a paper for school. But that was before I got my PowerBook... :rolleyes:

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

we're all just spoiled. i sometimes forget how crappy life can be in windows. i had to laugh at IJ Reilly's post, EXACTLY! haha I always wait for a dialog box with the option to "smash windows with a hammer?" :D that would be hard to resist.

13. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I seriously doubt that a program is causing those errors, much less Windows. I know most of you like to blame Windows, but I blame cheap/white-box OEM builders that lack any kind of decent hardware/quality control. I really can't understand how a program can be so dependent on a single driver or piece of hardware >> the two main reasons for a blue screen.

Honestly, in my whole life time, I have yet compile even close to 15 BSODs. Kernel panics? I've had more of those in the past 2 semesters than I've BSODs, and I had a Win98 box for 4 years, my XP box for now a full 3 years.

Seriously, its like a guy having a bad pair of RAM DIMMs and condemning all Macs to be unstable. But to say program >> BSODs is laughable. Its always been VERY bad driver >> BSOD, or more commonly; defective hardware >> BSOD.

**On the other hand, could all the kernel panics I've experienced be due to bad RAM/PSUs? Considering I've done musical chairs with the G5's in the lab, I doubt that it would even be statistically possible that all 14 G5's have bad RAM...

It would be disappointing if KP's came from the software level, b/c even now, XP for me has never BSODed from a non-hardware issue.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

During this little event, I was literally shouting at the screen, "Stupid Windows! Stupid! Stupid!" And waving my arms.

Fortunately nobody else was home. But I'm afraid the neighbors might have heard. :eek:

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't managed quite that number of Macs, but all of my KPs have been due to hardware issues, with only one exception: a game that apparently tried to address the hardware directly (and incorrectly).

OTOH, I've seen Windows boxes that would BSOD every time a USB device was plugged in.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

ok now it's even funnier, thanks for the serious laugh... it's been a rough night (even with a mac :D)

I always find myself swearing and getting really animated at inanimate (or close to it) objects, then I wonder who is dumber, me or the __XP__ (or fill in the blank with whatever) today it was a website with improper cookie handling that forced me to sign in several times and lead me to flip off my own monitor in protest.
    Yesterday it was the lame telephone recording I had to hear over and over again while on hold... I kept saying "your call is very important to us MY ASS!" and muttering other various obscenities under my breath.

life with technology [sigh] :p

17. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I saw this "Shuttle VR tour" recently. I hope they don't use Windows for the real thing :eek:

Attached Files:

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

um that is pretty disturbing. I am hoping that picture is photoshopped, or like you said, hopefully the real thing is better :eek:

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

1) By the style of that message, it looks like a Win9x BSOD. And b/c it is a tour (hence museum-type level), I doubt they are putting any kind of serious money into it.

2) Why in the world would the Shuttle be using Windows at all? Then again, someone f*cked up the Mars landing b/c of mixing up inches and cm.

We're talking about billions spent on a project, and someone doesn't notice inches and cm. *shaking head*

20. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Places where I've seen BSoD in the past few months:

1) CompUSA: they have a mickey mouse kiddie computer, with big bright yellow monitor, ears, and everything. all the signs around it have cartoons and smiling faces, looks like a lot of fun. on the display: blue screen of death.

2) ATM: Yes, the Wawa ATM crashed last week...They are set to reboot automatically, so I got to see Windows loading and then the desktop.

3) Ticket machine for NJ Transit: I live in philly and was at 30th street station getting tickets for the R8. The woman next to me is using her debit card to get tickets to take the train into NJ, apparently for an important visit to family or something (this is the beginning of july 4 weekend mind you). The machine BSoD'd on her, and she almost started crying. Because she was a SEPTA station, there was nobody there to issue her a refund or even the proper tickets. I have no idea what she did on a Friday night at 7 pm July 1...obviously nobody was answering the hotline at NJ Transit.

I thinks its scary how many devices use Windows, particularly devices that are networked and read your credit/debit card. Real scary. If I knew how I'd write a virus that targeted ATM machines and mailed me all the CC #'s that passed through it. (hey, jk!)

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

the most priceless BSoD was the one sitting on the huge screen behind Bill Gates and some other Microsoft wanker for a promotion for the Xbox (I think that's what it was) GREAT JOB, you knuckleheads! they are both looking back smiling at it... it was really enlightening into their obvious knowledge that microsmelt built an inferior product, most likely on purprose. (serves their bloatware well) :rolleyes: I hope that man gets another pie in the face :D (does that ever get old? :p )

I got the BSoD while trying to check in electronically at an airport (LAX) I was PISSED because it appeared to be a total system crash, all the other terminals had BSOD too, so I had to wait in a long ass line and nearly miss my plane (I am always late, shame on me for relying on technology)

I've seen them at Best Busy too. It was hilarious because this twit was trying to sell me on a laptop and not listening to me when I said "look, I just don't do windows!" when his sales pitch was interrupted by BSoD I just laughed and walked away towards my beloved Apple products... you could sense the defeat coming off his body in waves :D men sure get pissed when a little blonde girl makes them look foolish about these things.
    (or when they proudly tell you that they don't use Mac because "I'm a gamer" LIKE, IS THAT SUPPOSED TO IMPRESS ME?! [shakes head] good grief) dumbasses... they're everywhere.

anyone ever think the world is suffering from some form of mass delusion? ;)

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Wait a sec, it doesn't impress you? ;) It is so sexy to know that a guy has no life and is proud of it, and on top of that, he is ignorant. Mm. Now THAT's what I call a catch. :D

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

HAHA totally! I actually have said "do you have an actual reason for telling me this, or am I supposed to just be amazed on another level? like say sympathy." why they feel the need to reveal this info is beyond me. Even if I did swoon over this, what would I have to look forward to? A guy who ignores me for a game? puhleaze! they need new pick up lines or better sales tactics ;)

sometimes they look so disappointed to see a girl who likes Mac (like: "darn, she actually THINKS!") :D ;)

24. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

In... oh about 3 and a half years I've never seen a BSoD on XP :confused:
    Well, I don't actually use it that much, but when it does crash, everything but the desktop background disappears and then comes back.. much like restarting Finder.

Windows 98 on the other hand... :eek:

reality

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've only had good XPeriences ( :p :eek: ) with XP. I've blue screened three or four times in the past 2 and a half years I've been using it. Hardly anything to be mad about.

scem0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.